VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
A seller sent me this picture of the CPU we wants to sell me
Is the dell thing a voltage regulator?

The dx4 is a 3volt cpu, with that thing it gets transformed into 5volt? and by doing that the dx4 can be used on older motherboards that don´t support voltage setup jumpers in the board?

6zwifl.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, specifically designed for processors.
http://www.linear.com/product/LT1587
5v input 3v output (adjusted by resistors) output, 3A.

Last edited by James-F on 2017-04-26, 16:51. Edited 1 time in total.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a quick search on the name of the small "transistor thing" at the top on goolgle leads to these results https://www.google.fr/search?q=LT1587&ie=utf- … K3QCw&gws_rd=cr

So this component is a VRM that regulates the current to ~3V 7A.

I don't see why it would be there if that whole thing wasn't a voltage adapter ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 9, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

before trying this out, i want to show you something weird
this is the back side of the module, as you can see the pins that are grey are pins that were cut/no contact pins

does anyone have a 5v to 3v converter? is that normal?
there are many pins that were cut!

nwkexk.jpg

Reply 4 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like all the missing pins are Vcc. Maybe the CPU is getting Vcc from the pins normally supplied to the Pentium Overdrive (the extra outer row on the socket not used by regular 486 CPUs). I'm not sure why they did this. Maybe it was to key the CPU to prevent improper insertion?

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2017-04-29, 00:43. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lookup the pinouts for the 486DX4 to see what those pins are for. They may be non-connect (NC). It is pretty neat to see a Dell branded VRM module. It was probably intended for a Dell motherboard, but may work in others as well.

LT1587 is very common for use as a CPU voltage regulator. It has a low dropout voltage. There are few other common ones, off the top of my head, the 1085. For regulators which take 5 V down to only 4 V, they often use an ultra-low dropout regulator, especially for higher amp drawing CPUs.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the first 486 VRM interposer module I've seen which contains 4 rows of pins. The only other is the POD. Anyone remember what the 4th row of pins is for?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Extra grounds and power. No signalling whatsoever. Other's have already demonstrated that a POD can work in a 168pin socket if you can get enough clearance.

Did you see the guy that stuck a POD83 in his XT using the Transcomputer 486hpi and Inboard?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium