VOGONS

Mouse issue

Topic actions

First post, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am building a 3dfx voodoo 2 build with a FIC PA-2007 motherboard and it's not playing well with my mice.

I first tried connecting the serial ribbon to the COM1 and 2 ports on board, trying all IRQs, and it either did not find it or found it, and detected the mouse, but the cursor could not move and you couldn't click.

I bought a Lava Computers ISA serial port card, set the jumpers accordingly and the board detects the two ports fine as com1 and com2. It even finds them in 98se, and finds the mouse. All of the on board i/o ports are disabled, btw. However it does the same thing as before, cursor cannot move and you cannot click anything.

The mouse is a standard Microsoft serial mouse that works fine with the 10 other pcs of various ages I have used it with, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the mouse work in DOS? If not, do you have an external modem or anything else on hand you can use to test the serial ports? That would probably be a good start.

I would also check for some strange-looking option in the BIOS, or perhaps clear the CMOS entirely.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also would try the mouse in DOS first. Especially with the original driver. If that doesn work, an older version of CuteMouse (1.7 or 1.9 ?) could be helpful.
Also make sure other devices do work fine with the com ports, too. An external analogue modem, for example. Or run CheckIt! with a loop-back-cable.
Sometimes brackets with DE9 connectors onto them don't have right (matching) wiring, which causes all sorts of problem (esp. not moving cursor).

(PS: Sorry for the bad English. I still feel sleepy.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//