VOGONS

First post, by fatrapper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm about to start putting together a 2GHz P4 98SE PC but I'm having problems getting my hands on what could be considered a decent S478 cooler.

Rummaging through my old bits I managed to find an old (but unused) Akasa AK-675B that I had lying around for some reason or other (I've been an AMD person for years so I might have bought this by accident at some point, I really can't remember) and wondered what others thought of this cooler. Is it any good?

I'm in the UK and don't want to pay too much if it isn't going to be up to scratch. I'd say a maximum of 20GBP.

For those interested:
ASRock P4i65G
2x256Mb DDR
128GB SSD (couldn't find any small PATA/SATA drives in my old bits)
SB Live! (CT4620+CT4660 daughterboard)
Nvidia FX5900GT
Wrapped in a AvP Y907BK case

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will probably work ok. It looks like a decent heatsink.

I personally have not really used any non-heatpipe coolers since Socket-A though.

SS7 was the last platform I used regular heatsinks on.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the cooler you have, if the CPU is constantly throttling buy a better cooler. 2.0ghz is either a Northwood or Willamette core. Neither is Prescott so it's not like the tdp is that massive. Remember, it's not like I'm P3 or earlier chips that lack overheating protection.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 7, by fatrapper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Northwood CPU & thanks for the response but it's in case the Akasa cooler I've currently got is no good that I'm asking since I've struggled to find an alternative outside of a few stock intel coolers.

I prefer new coolers over used if only because that way (in theory) the fan won't need replacing, especially since it will be unknown as to how hammered the bearings are.

Reply 4 of 7, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fatrapper wrote:

I'm about to start putting together a 2GHz P4 98SE PC but I'm having problems getting my hands on what could be considered a decent S478 cooler.

I'd say one of the last (pretty good) coolers that still has socket 478 compatibility is the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B. This is a socket 1366 compliant cooler, so it should give you more than enough performance for anything you can fit into the socket 478. I use it whenever I pull out my socket 478 based P4 3.4GHz EE CPU. You will have to remove the mainboard's retention module for this one though. It is screwed to the mainboard with a backplate.

END OF LINE.

Reply 5 of 7, by fatrapper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm struggling to find a Mugen 2 (of any description) but thanks for reminding me about Scythe.

I've found a Shuriken Rev.B which supports 478 but a little more than I originally wanted to pay, but I'll give the Akasa a trial run and see how that goes before diving into replacing it without testing first.

Reply 6 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the best coolers for S478 is the Thermaltake SI-120 or XP-120. Its easy to find on Ebay for a good price.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 7, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

One of the best coolers for S478 is the Thermaltake SI-120 or XP-120. Its easy to find on Ebay for a good price.

I think it is Thermalright 😉

However, I used the XP-120 quite some time on a P4 3.0GHz CPU being very happy with it but found it too weak for the 3.4GHz EE. The Mugen 2 Rev. B. would be a better option for high performance (or just hot) CPUs in my opinion. This is of course no big feat as the Mugen 2 is way newer (and bigger, with more heatpipes, more fins, larger surface area etc.pp.) than those old Thermalright coolers and can manage socket 1366 CPUs.

Of course, for a P4 2.0GHz all of this doesn't really matter. Just get one that fits your budget 😀

END OF LINE.