VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought i'd make a new thread as this issue doesn't really relate to any other threads I've made of the machine and I have a few questions.

first the machine is

this motherboard (i'm pretty sure) http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/pt428.html
486dx 33 / 50 (i don't know if it's 33mhz or 50 thats just what the bios says)
8x 1mb simms 8mb total
some sort of windbond drive contoller
et4000 vlb
SB16 ct4170
caviar 800mb hdd
windows 95a / 95b

First short question , I installed 95b to gain DMA support for the hdd but it still isn't an option in the drive properties , it's not even a greyed out box , the box just isn't there. Wondering what thats all about.

Next. The machine has stability issues when doing very heavy tasks (well heavy for it anyway). If i just click around in the OS it works totally fine , even boots super fast. Playing duke nukem 1 and 2 seem to be no problem. However , when stressed with a relatively harder task the machine will lock up. For example , if I do a print screen , then paste it into MS paint and try dragging the image around , that'll lock it up. Or if when watching a movie in media player , if i hit the full screen and exit the full screen too quickly , that can lock it up too. Also Duke nukem 3D can also lock it up if it sits on the menu too long without turning the graphics way down. Essentially I have to take it easy or the machine can lock up pretty easy. In the long term the machine can be on for hours even running the screen saver and be totally fine.

So far i just stuck a heatsink and fan on the cpu just in case it was overheating , also tried changing from 95a to 95b just to see if it was software related but that seems to have no effect. The hard drive also passes check disk with no errors. The turbo button seems to work just fine if that matters. Not sure what to try next different gpu maybe?

Reply 2 of 19, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95 is pretty underpowered on a 486DX and 8 megs of RAM, it was more optimized for, maybe, early Pentiums or very late 486's (5x86, etc). It will run, but pretty slowly.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 3 of 19, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More RAM would almost certainly help. A 486DX2 or DX4 would help too, but RAM is probably the main problem.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 19, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95 IMO is useless on a 486 regardless of what most people say. All it will do is chew your resources up and give less access to core resources, and on a 486 where EVERYTHING is at a premium, this will make it REALLY HARD to get a good system going ESPECIALLY on a DX 33/40/50

Use PC-DOS 2000. It's the best retro DOS IMO and comes with everything you need (Except CD driver) out of the box. Newer (But impossible to find) versions of PC-DOS have FAT32 support, but that's really not needed here.

Windows 3.1 is an alright option for games you NEED to run on Windows, but nothing newer.

RAM is an issue, but not the one at fault here. It will help, but not a lot. Use DOS.

Reply 5 of 19, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Windows 95 is pretty underpowered on a 486DX and 8 megs of RAM, it was more optimized for, maybe, early Pentiums or very late 486's (5x86, etc). It will run, but pretty slowly.

I'm not having slow running/booting issues with the system.

Ampera wrote:
Windows 95 IMO is useless on a 486 regardless of what most people say. All it will do is chew your resources up and give less ac […]
Show full quote

Windows 95 IMO is useless on a 486 regardless of what most people say. All it will do is chew your resources up and give less access to core resources, and on a 486 where EVERYTHING is at a premium, this will make it REALLY HARD to get a good system going ESPECIALLY on a DX 33/40/50

Use PC-DOS 2000. It's the best retro DOS IMO and comes with everything you need (Except CD driver) out of the box. Newer (But impossible to find) versions of PC-DOS have FAT32 support, but that's really not needed here.

Windows 3.1 is an alright option for games you NEED to run on Windows, but nothing newer.

RAM is an issue, but not the one at fault here. It will help, but not a lot. Use DOS.

I'm really not going to be using a non gui operating system. It's too far back for someone like me and frankly right up until the machine locks up , it works and performs perfectly fine. The issue I'm having is finding out why the machine locks up vs simply slowing down to process the information. I suppose windows 95 doesn't have a lot of diagnostic tools for determining crashes so it's sort of a guessing game.

Reply 6 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any BIOS options that might help you out? PIO/DMA, etc? Have you tested the RAM? I'm not sure if memtest86 will run on a 486...

Have you looked for updated chipset drivers?

Confirm there are not IRQ conflicts?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 19, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win9x does not handle being constantly forced to swap very gracefully. This is part of why WinNT/Win2k hork less than 9x does.

You could try using OS/2 as well, but even then, I'd want more RAM (16MB or so)

Reply 8 of 19, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it only during intense graphical operations? Can you give it some I/O benchmark tasks to see how it does?

What is the status of jumpers -
JP3
JP11
JP17, JP18
JP8, JP9, JP21? (Apparently JP21 is a factor depending on what clock you have)
JP4, JP5

Also you said 486DX 33 / 50 based on the BIOS, but what is on the actual processor?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 9 of 19, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:
Is it only during intense graphical operations? Can you give it some I/O benchmark tasks to see how it does? […]
Show full quote

Is it only during intense graphical operations? Can you give it some I/O benchmark tasks to see how it does?

What is the status of jumpers -
JP3
JP11
JP17, JP18
JP8, JP9, JP21? (Apparently JP21 is a factor depending on what clock you have)
JP4, JP5

Also you said 486DX 33 / 50 based on the BIOS, but what is on the actual processor?

I suppose graphical operations are the only intensive task I can think of for the system. I'm not sure if it will crash with only a cpu intensive task. Could you recommend some benchmarks that'll run with these specs?

After having a look at the jumper diagram my jumpers appear to be different in location even though the board has the same layout. My boards bios string is "40-0000-428003-00101111-111192-UMC491-H" which i can't seem to find a result for on google but "40-0101-428054-00101111-111192-UMC491-H" is the closest match.

I popped off the heat sink and the cpu itself says it's an amd 486dx-40

Reply 10 of 19, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the BIOS string and checking out a BIOS guide online for AMIBIOS, it looks like your board was made by QDI. UMC491 chipset thanks to that part of the string. Something closer to this? http://s7.directupload.net/images/131020/lrfswtfl.jpg

Is there any writing along the edges that perhaps you are overlooking? You may also have some silkscreened jumper info on the board.

Maybe one of the other guys can recommend some benchmarking software.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 12 of 19, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

My guess is a dodgy PSU.

My guess is your right. either that or the CPU is set at 50 MHz.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 13 of 19, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on the previous postings, if I had to take a guess, then this is probably your motherboard: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/33302.htm
Otherwise, takes pictures of the motherboard and try to identify the correct one on the above mentioned site.
You can also run a utility like NSSI 0.60 (http://www.navsoft.cz/nssi060.exe). This will normally tell you what motherboard you have.

Since you have a VLB graphics card in your system, and you're running your Front Side Bus at > 33 MHz, there must be a jumper somewhere to apply a wait state to your VLB (otherwise, check the settings in your CMOS setup).
Make sure you configure your CPU correctly according to the motherboard's settings. An incorrect configuration will undoubtedly lead to stability issues.

Reply 14 of 19, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then use Windows 3.1

DOS is what people were forced to use in a way. You had GUIs but they would absolutely hog any and all resources. Maybe you want a Socket 5 system, it will probably work a bit better.

Reply 15 of 19, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or alternatively, a DX4/5x86/POD and more RAM - Win95 and even NT4 will work on a 486, but it's gotta be a pretty skookum one.

Reply 16 of 19, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I'm hating this site a little bit as I typed out a huge paragraph but it made me login to post it , then kindly deleted everything I typed.

But essentially summed up , I think the hard drive is just failing so I'll have to look into trying a different drive solution.

Reply 18 of 19, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used Win 95 "A" on a 486 with 8MB of RAM daily in 1995 and it ran fine. I played tons of games and wrote tons of documents on it. People saying it's unstable because of system specs have no idea what they are talking about.

Reply 19 of 19, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jade_angel wrote on 2017-04-30, 22:13:

Win9x does not handle being constantly forced to swap very gracefully. This is part of why WinNT/Win2k hork less than 9x does.

You could try using OS/2 as well, but even then, I'd want more RAM (16MB or so)

LMAO OS/2 is a dumpster fire and is worse, in every way, than Win9x. This recommendation is the most laughable thing I have seen on this forum.