VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I skipped the whole Intel P4 era entirely. I've never owned one, preferring AMD-based Athlon, Athlon XP, and Athlon 64 systems instead. Thus, I'm quite ignorant of P4 intricacies.

Now, I've got an opportunity to acquire an ABIT VT7 Via PT880 system for pretty cheap. It looks like it can handle a 3.4ghz Prescott, and they're pretty common and inexpensive on eBay. Is this worth building?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/low_end_cpus.html

Based on what I see there, it looks like the Prescott 3.4ghz CPU is equivalent to about an Athlon XP 2900+. Is that correct? If so, that's pretty weak. Were the P4 CPUs really that pathetic? For such high power draw and TDP, I would expect better.

Anyway, what's the collective wisdom from VOGONS on this?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus P4C800(-E) is the only Pentium 4 motherboard I can really recommend. It's much faster than the rest of the motherboards at stock speed with all performance options enabled, probably because of Asus trickery with North Bridge latencys.

If you are going to overclock any i875 or i865 motherboard should perform more or less the same, look for one with good VRM circuits.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 9, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In a lot of ways, the Pentium 4 WAS that weak. This was one of the eras where AMD was well and truly in the lead, especially for gaming.

A Prescott @ 3.4 is pretty consistently beaten by an A64 3400+ in gaming, and often by lower AMD chips of the era as well.

Reply 4 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel 865 chipset and a Nortwood CPU is what I would recommend if you are trying P4 for the first time.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 9, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm really not interested in building a P4. I was checking out this post on craigslist:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/sop/6100976595.html

Mostly, I like the case and it looks like the PSU could be useful after a recap. I was going to offer the guy $10 for it. I was a bit curious if I could make use of the motherboard for a build, but I'll probably just give the motherboard away. I've really got too many old PCs anyway.

Reply 6 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree with Phil that the i865 is the most robust Socket 478 platform to go with, but I think this ABit board might be an interesting project.

The VIA P4 boards were kind of weird. They sold for a little while for the simple reason that Intel refused to sell a DDR RAM based chipset (because RDRAM was going to be da bomb). Eventually the 845 chipset came out with DDR support, then the 865, but for a little while everyone thought Intel's cheese had slid off their managerial cracker, and VIA P4 boards really didn't look so bad.

I would be curious to know how the PT880 performs, what quirks it might have, and any benefits it might provide regarding backward compatibility. I believe that chipset came out after VIA paid for a license for the Netburst bus protocol.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fun fact, the Via PT880 chipset was actually used with some early lga775 motherboards as well. It should be fairly stable and trouble free.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I agree with Phil that the i865 is the most robust Socket 478 platform to go with, but I think this ABit board might be an interesting project.

I would be curious to know how the PT880 performs, what quirks it might have, and any benefits it might provide regarding backward compatibility. I believe that chipset came out after VIA paid for a license for the Netburst bus protocol.

Agreed. On the A64 I like VIA chipset a lot. It's only their SATA controllers than can be frustrating, though it does depend on board to board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 9, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, I wonder if that guy on craigslist reads VOGONS. Right after I made my post, he's suddenly disassembled the system and is now parting it out:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/sop/6100976595.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/sop/6110382912.html

No idea what he did with the Linkworld PSU that I wanted. When I made my first post, this was a complete system. Anyway, it's easily 45 minutes away and I'm quickly losing interest in his sale since he started disassembling it.

Besides, I still have an almost-new Antec SL300S with bulging caps, but it will be fine after a recap.