VOGONS

First post, by zakurowrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm honestly curious what devices these could be on my 386 system.

It runs fine in DOS and Windows 3.1/95 but I thought I'd post to see if anyone would have an idea. The Input Output Range of the devices are 0100-0100 & 0108-0108

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Filename
    Unknown.jpg
    File size
    339.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by zakurowrath on 2018-04-07, 06:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, not sure. That i/o range seems to be used by serial devices sometimes, too. FreeBSD mentions them at ISA ports 100h and 108h, for example..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 10, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would help if you mentioned what kind of system it is, and what kind of hardware is in there.
A good source for port resources is the Bochs PORTS.LST: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/techspec/PORTS.LST
It mentions a Compaq tape drive adapter.
And some PS/2 features.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some boards may have soft turbo / cache functionality. It is also typically exposed through custom versions of MODE.COM. Maybe the ports relate to such feature.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

Windows 95 on a 386 is amazing.

I don't even run it on my DX4-100 120Mhz

Dude, i wished back in the days I had something stellar like that for Windows 98SE ! 😁

(Seriously, I believe Win95 RTM+386DX40 was a better experience than 98SE on 486DX2-66 😉 )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by zakurowrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, not sure. That i/o range seems to be used by serial devices sometimes, too. FreeBSD mentions them at ISA ports 100h and 108h, for example..

That would actually make some sense, being I have 2 ISA slots open one 8 bit and the other 16 bit. Question is why would Windows 95 even see the open slots if nothing is in them thou. I don't think a 386 ISA motherboard from 1992 is Plug and Play but Windows 95 B seems to think so.

The IDE/FDD controller card does have another serial port header however, it is listed under the COM & LPT section of device manager as COM2, COM1 is the Microsoft Serial Mouse. Two additional Printer Ports LPT2 & LPT3 are listed too, however, I don't recall seeing a header on the controller for more Parallel Ports 0,0

Ampera wrote:

Windows 95 on a 386 is amazing.

I don't even run it on my DX4-100 120Mhz

It's actually not too bad with 16 MB of RAM a 33 mhz 80386 and 33mhz 80387, does it stall a few times, sure but I remember my first computer, which was a 486, stalling too when doing certain tasks. The only thing that sucked was it took forever to install, like overnight 😒

What's funny is I put a hard drive from another computer that had Windows 98 SE on it and it ran in safe mode, it couldn't even determine the processor type, but it was hilarious to see a 386 running Windows 98 SE xD

Daniel222potato wrote:

type all the names of all the devices it has detected and then open up your computer and look for something it didnt find (The unsupported Device).
That should narrow it down.

Hmm, it has the network card (with a dial up adapter?...it's 10MBps LAN with RJ45, BNC and AUI), the sound card with joystick/MIDI port, the two standard IDE controllers, the Trident VGA card (still malfunctioning thinking it's a power supply issue), the standard floppy controller, all the drives A through D and the standard system devices show up (System Clock, Board, etc.) The only thing left would be the Promise EIDE card, other than that, everything else is standard unless, the chipset are being detected somehow?

Reply 10 of 10, by zakurowrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

Have you tried running any of the hardware information utilities on this system? ASTRA, HWiNFO for DOS, CheckIt?

I have ran Phil's DOS Benchmark Pack for basic information and Dr. Hardware did save a very long RPT file full of information, I attached it, wordpad does open it with a few odd characters.

Scali's link says it could be a It mentions a Compaq tape drive adapter at 0100-0100, maybe its that second IDE controller with stereo RCAs out? Everytime I looked up the model number they always listed it as a "Floppy" Controller, why would a floppy controller have an IDE connection with RCA jacks, that doesn't make sense to me, although I do remember a middle school library computer with a headphone port on the front 😐

And 0108-0108

0108-010F ---- 8 digit LED info panel on IBM PS/2

010F w leftmost character on display
010E w second character
.... w
0108 w eighth character

I mean I have an LED display in the system but its not connected to the motherboard. Unless there's a non existent header I don't know about.

Here's a look at the motherboard in another topic: Re: Identifying an ADC Opti Motherboard

Here's the ISA cards in the system currently:

Video Card: Trident 8900D
Sound Card: Sound Blaster 16 - CT2940
System Controller: SAB-757
EIDE Controller: Promise DriveMax
Network: 3COM 3C509BC ETHERLINK III
CD-ROM Controller: Future Domain IDE-16011

Attachments

• Filename
    Dr Hardware RPT.rar
    File size
    13.92 KiB