VOGONS

First post, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI All

I have purchased an Asus P5-99VM Motherboard and would like to put a P233 MMX in it and run dos, what graphics pci card should I get?
I believe the board has built in SIS530 and can use 8mb shared ram. Should I just stick with this or is there something better?

Cheers

Reply 1 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would get something like a S3-Trio64v+ or S3-Virge325, then pair it with a Voodoo1 or possible a Voodoo2.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are interested in DOS Glide then Voodoo Banshee probably. Voodoo 3 2000 PCI is overkill for the 233. If not, the S3 cards have good compatibility with problematic titles like Commander Keen. It really depends on what you want to play, though. I am partial to Matrox products, the Mystique or Millennium II would be my choice, much better IQ IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pure DOS? See the DOS PCI benchmarks I posted awhile back. Link in my signature. But I do agree with the others, if you're interested in DOS Glide, then some Voodoo would be awesome.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
t3f4l wrote:

I have a spare voodoo2 12mb, would you guys use the onboard sis530 for 2d then the voodoo for 3d glide?

If it's a Creative Voodoo 2 and indeed a spare, don't do that. Sell it to me. I need it for my SLI setup. 😜

More seriously, I don't see why that wouldn't work, just use a Voodoo VGA cable between the mainboard VGA out and the Voodoo VGA in.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 14, by t3f4l

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
t3f4l wrote:

I have a spare voodoo2 12mb, would you guys use the onboard sis530 for 2d then the voodoo for 3d glide?

If it's a Creative Voodoo 2 and indeed a spare, don't do that. Sell it to me. I need it for my SLI setup. 😜

More seriously, I don't see why that wouldn't work, just use a Voodoo VGA cable between the mainboard VGA out and the Voodoo VGA in.

Its an orchid, I have my creative sli setup in my tualatin machine 😀

Reply 8 of 14, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a computer system in 1997 with a P233MMX which had an ATI Graphics Expression+ (ATI Mach 64) in it. A Trio64, Virge, Mach64 or early Rage are the period correct graphics cards for a 233 MMX. Add a V2 for 3D compatibility and you're good to go. Anything with more than 4 MB VRAM is not period correct.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No love for ATI? I would put a Rage II in it - got a 4MB in my P166 from about the same era.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 10 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My pick for DOS PCI is S3 Virge GX. It's the fastest S3 PCI card in DOS, very compatible, and period correct. If you can get a hold of an ARK2000PV card, this is the fastest period correct DOS PCI card I've ever tested. Cirrus Logic 5446 is also very good (a hair slower than the Virge GX) and if you don't care about period correctness, then get a TNT2 M64 PCI. This is the fastest PCI DOS card around, and very compatible.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matrox Mystique + Voodoo 2.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 12 of 14, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HA. I just commented on your Facebook post about the same system. If your talking pure DOS I'd go with S3 with a Voodoo1 if you have one. Or a Voodoo 2 if you like, since you have it. Not a huge fan of Pre-Radeon Ati cards purely because they have so many incompatibilities with side scrolling DOS games in particular. If you don't have any early 2d cards you could go with any later Nvidia tnt2or early geforce PCI cards. Mostly they would be M64s and MX's and kinda overkill for what your using it for but they are compatible cards and cheap cheap.

Reply 13 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

and if you don't care about period correctness, then get a TNT2 M64 PCI. This is the fastest PCI DOS card around, and very compatible.

I loved my PCI TNT2 M64! It's obviously not as fast as the proper TNT2, but it was really kinda underrated for most of it's lifetime. I especially liked the PCI ones and I got several of those still laying around (and no, I won't be selling any of them, in case anyone was about to ask).

The 16MB is really not necessary for DOS, but for a system that also runs Windows, it's a nice bonus (if only for increased screen resolutions). Personally I like to match these with Voodoo 2 (be it PCI or AGP).

t3f4l, the SiS530 board is interesting imo, don't let the lack of AGP make you think otherwise. It should support Linear Burst (some Cyrix thingy) which the Intel chipsets do not and some of these boards may be able to cache more than the almost universally standard of 64MB posed by most Pentium Intel chipsets.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 14, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel Pentium MMX is all about a voodoo1 for me.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1