VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone has any experience of using this hard drive in older systems with 500MB hard drive size limitation? It is a 1Gb hard drive that is suppose to have dual drive emulation mode that is suppose to make it look like two 500Mb hard drives.
I also have another question. If I were to use such hard drive in a 386 system, would there be any way to put optical drive in the system in addition to that hard drive? Basically I am asking if it is possible to have multiple ide controllers one having this hard drive in the emulation mode and second one having ide optical drive.

Reply 6 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

How about bios limitations in number of IDE devices?

Only affects hard drives, unless the controller has its own bios. ATAPI drives (CD, DVD, etc) are independent from the bios and just need drivers.

Reply 7 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Koltoroc wrote:

Only affects hard drives, unless the controller has its own bios. ATAPI drives (CD, DVD, etc) are independent from the bios and just need drivers.

Thanks. It is good to know.
One more question. In many isa ide controller cards you can set ide address using jumpers. Is this something you need to change if you add a second card that has ide interface like a sound card?

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

It would still be nice to know if you can setup multiple ide channels on 386 or 486 using multiple ISA cards that have IDE interface.

286/386 BIOSes do usually only support the primary IDE channel.
There's a tool set for DOS, though, 4hdtools, to overcome that limitation.
http://www.sundby.com/retro/copied_web_sites/ … /4hdd/index.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//