VOGONS

First post, by iKarith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just received an EFA Viking 3, my second super socket 7 board. It doesn't recognize the K6-2+ CPU without a BIOS update which has not been installed yet.

The video card comes up, the board tests the memory, etc, and then hangs here:

qp6SZR4m.jpg

The CPU is a K6-2+ 550, but at least one source claims the board only supports up to a K6-2 475. I've tried setting voltage to 2.0v and 2.1v, and you can see I've dropped the multiplier here just in case that was necessary. It always stops here and multiple keyboards have LEDs flash when the system powers up. It doesn't try to access drives either.

The eBait seller said the board was tested to POST, so I'm wondering if there's something I can change out? I'm the cost of two motherboards into this project, as well as pretty much all of the other components actually, so I'm pretty bummed at this point. The last board wouldn't recognize any drive or even boot a SATA controller. This one isn't even getting that far.

Reply 2 of 3, by iKarith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only card plugged in at the moment is the Voodoo 3, along with a Gotek drive and a CF-IDE adapter. Loads more things to put into the system, but I figured it was best to test each component in turn.

Reply 3 of 3, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a chance that you need the bios update to get it to work. Unknown CPUs tend to work if everything is set up right, but I have seen that fail.

In any case, to troubleshoot I suggest starting with clearing cmos and maybe changing the cmos battery. I have a socket 7 board that won't boot past the bios screen with an empty battery. Might be worth looking into