VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Technically it seems possible, drop your cpu speed a certain amount (I have a lot of proprietary systems that make it impossible to adjust ratio or cache), run passmark performance test, and adjust until you get the cpu speed score of the cpu you want to pretend to have. Only problem I've had is the system or games not functioning if you drop it to 10% of normal speed though. Oh and obviously, needing a system that can amicably run win 7 in the first place!

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK many CPUs with power saving features, can be manually configured in the BIOS. For example a Core 2 Duo or Phenom II CPU should go down to 800 MHz or so.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AFAIK many CPUs with power saving features, can be manually configured in the BIOS. For example a Core 2 Duo or Phenom II CPU should go down to 800 MHz or so.

Could I wind down a 1.8ghz athlon xp to 180mhz to what would probably equal a pentium 2-233?

Reply 4 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinThrottle was intended to work precisely by this principle, but there appear to be no intentions to support it past Vista.
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

Reply 5 of 9, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AFAIK that CPU doesn't have cool and quiet support.

Ok, let's just say it's on a 1.8ghz pentium e2160 - I'm guessing I'd have to benchmark to find what cpu it would be equal to? I mean, all that extra cache and the advanced memory bus isn't going to make 10% = as slow as a 180mhz cpu from way back when, is it?

Reply 7 of 9, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Is there something in particular you are trying to run?

Anything that requires that much throttling on a Windows 7 PC probably should be run in DOSBox.

Want to run doom wads on slow pc's to see just how overpowered modern pc's are for the task - e.g a wad made this year for the Boom source port, try it on a typical 2001 system with a 2001 version of Boom. I know I won't be able to slow a pc to 486 levels because throttling to 1% absolutely kills windows and anything you try to run.

Dosbox isn't good at emulating a certain speed cpu and a lot of times games override your custom cycles setting. Even when it works, it's not a jerky framerate, the game just runs in slow-mo - which is not what would happen on an underpowered system.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bluejeans wrote:

Want to run doom wads on slow pc's to see just how overpowered modern pc's are for the task - e.g a wad made this year for the Boom source port, try it on a typical 2001 system with a 2001 version of Boom. I know I won't be able to slow a pc to 486 levels because throttling to 1% absolutely kills windows and anything you try to run.

Not to mention a 2001 version of Boom would probably never run on a 486.

I would have thought there would be at least one Doom source port with some kind of built-in speed throttling. Of course, it won't be the same as running it on a 2001 PC, but then attempting to throttle a Windows 7 PC would hardly be exact either. Alternatively, I'd be inclined to believe that it might be easier to throttle Linux one way or another, and some of those source ports surely have Linux versions.

Even when it works, it's not a jerky framerate, the game just runs in slow-mo - which is not what would happen on an underpowered system.

Are you sure about that?

Reply 9 of 9, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Not to mention a 2001 version of Boom would probably never run on a 486. […]
Show full quote
bluejeans wrote:

Not to mention a 2001 version of Boom would probably never run on a 486.

I would have thought there would be at least one Doom source port with some kind of built-in speed throttling. Of course, it won't be the same as running it on a 2001 PC, but then attempting to throttle a Windows 7 PC would hardly be exact either. Alternatively, I'd be inclined to believe that it might be easier to throttle Linux one way or another, and some of those source ports surely have Linux versions.

Even when it works, it's not a jerky framerate, the game just runs in slow-mo - which is not what would happen on an underpowered system.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, either that or the sound starts to go.