VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I currently own an Audigy 2 with a front panel, and I found a fairly cheap deal on a like new Xonar DG.. Is it worth getting it? I had an Audigy 2 I didn't know what to do with, so I was going to use it with my I'm considering using it in my contemporary gaming PC (FX 8300, RX 480) but the DG looks like a good buy regardless because I game with headphones and it apparently has a good headphone amp? I could move the Audigy 2 to a future Athlon XP + 9800PRO PC I suppose? If anyone could compare the two I'd be really glad.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 1, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always enjoyed the sound of the Audigy 2's I have - I have a Xonar DGX (The PCI-E version of the DG) and the much touted headphone amp is.... actually not that powerful at all. As in not that loud even with the 64-ohm "Exciter" headphone setting on normal 32-ohm headphones. If I had a PCI slot in my current primary machine I'd probably be using an Audigy 2.

Either way, with either the Audigy 2 or the Xonar you'll probably want to run non-official drivers as the stock packages are pretty lackluster.