VOGONS

First post, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, need a bit of help choosing a new sound card. In my fic 503a I cannot get any non-pnp isa sound card to be recognized in bios. Been at that for a week and have just given up.
It will only recognize pnp isa sound cards.

I have a wave blaster 2 i want to use so it needs to have a wavetable header. The card I had wanted to use was a SB16 Ct2290. If you guys can steer me in the right direction I'd be greatly appreciative!

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 1 of 2, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A PnP BIOS like the one on the FIC 503A doesn't "recognize" a non-PnP card. It won't display or list a card as a device, the board will just proceed with the startup process.

How did yout test your CT2290 non PnP SoundBlaster?
Follow these simple steps: Plug the card in, install the driver from the SBBASIC.EXE archive, reboot, go into the directory (e.g. C:\SB16) and type "DIAGNOSE". This will test the card. If everything is setup properly, the program lets you test the different sound departments (8-Bit PCM, 16-Bit PCM and FM-Music).

Good luck!

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 2, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:
A PnP BIOS like the one on the FIC 503A doesn't "recognize" a non-PnP card. It won't display or list a card as a device, the boa […]
Show full quote

A PnP BIOS like the one on the FIC 503A doesn't "recognize" a non-PnP card. It won't display or list a card as a device, the board will just proceed with the startup process.

How did yout test your CT2290 non PnP SoundBlaster?
Follow these simple steps: Plug the card in, install the driver from the SBBASIC.EXE archive, reboot, go into the directory (e.g. C:\SB16) and type "DIAGNOSE". This will test the card. If everything is setup properly, the program lets you test the different sound departments (8-Bit PCM, 16-Bit PCM and FM-Music).

Good luck!

UvtKiyeWYEhRC.gif
Filename
UvtKiyeWYEhRC.gif
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

That explains so much. I had thought there was an issue as despite installing the driver in 98se windows still said there was an issue in device manager. I just assumed the card wasnt recognized.

Ill look more closely today. I did not even get to the dos part of the install as I thought the board just couldnt see non-pnp cards.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.