Rank

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with Quake 2 on my system which is:

ABIT BH6
SL5XT CPU @1.1GHZ
256mb RAM
TI4200

Win98SE.

I have a very odd problem where the game is absolutely buttery smooth as long as I don't hold two keys together. I can walk forward with no drops and I can turn with no drops, but both together causes massive dips down to 30fps.

If I watch the timedemo though it doesn't have the issue, it works perfectly and stays around 90fps no problem. So it must be something to do with my keyboard but I can't figure what? I've tried two keyboards, but they are both USB, and I tried switching keyboard support from bios to OS but no luck.

Anyone encountered anything like this before?

Reply 1 of 4, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, I've never heard of anything like that before.

Have you tried a PS/2 keyboard, just to see if it's a problem with USB?
Also, given it's a Slot-1 era Abit board, the capacitors are automatically suspect. Have you changed them out? Bad caps can cause all sorts of problems, including USB weirdness.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First gen USB was notorious for causing latency problems. Never heard of it happening with a keyboard though.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed as well as the chipset drivers and newest USB drivers? Maybe use NUSB for the USB drivers.

I would definitely recommend using a PS/2 keyboard though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Newest drivers installed on the bios yep. I tried a third keyboard and that seems to have sorted it. Not sure what could possibly have been the problem that two keyboards don't work and a third did, since they were all USB.