VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, my pentium 133 system - issues including bios text being in german, and now every cold start it hangs on testing co-processor - starting for a second time lets it boot up.

Celeron 300 - used to have to do a reboot to get it to start, but now it hangs on the setup screen, an any intervention (sometimes I can get into the bios but you can't exit) - the monitor will eventually go into standby.

Also had a 486 and pentium board seemingly fail - no video or anything - but the cpu's worked fine in other systems. Is this merely the price we have to pay when it comes to using old hardware?

Reply 1 of 6, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like propped up with crutches, sounding a little wheezy with memory issues? No, not really.

Electronics on motherboards are solid state... meaning they are built up from a series of logic gates and components that manipulate the binary bit i.e. a '1' or a '0'.

If a motherboard is not looked after, parts will fail from a list of causes...

Static
open circuit (tracks)
short circuit (tracks pulled high or low)
wrongly inserted part, or orientation
failed part needing replaced
... dare I say it... human error!

I'm even sure folk use their boards as mid-air projectiles from time to time.

Point is, after power is brought into the system and fed onto the main power tracks of the motherboard, it is then subject to signal conditioning. If the signal can not be conditioned as per the system design, you have a fault, and for the motherboard to work, the fault must be fixed.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad caps fail due to heat. Chips often fail due to heat. Transformers fail due to heat (although they usually last much longer than caps). Keep your retro gear cool and it will invariably last longer.

The physical effects you listed are a concern, especially when installing or removing components, but heat is a relentless killer of components which takes it's toll regardless.

To the OP, yes, this can be a common issue with old hardware. This is why learning how to test voltages and replace capacitors is a very good idea. However, some new hardware comes with similar reliability due to incompetence or cost cutting, so it's probably more accurate to say it's an issue with hardware.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This behavior looks like you have unstable power, maybe bad caps, bad power supply..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, 15years old PSUs or older should always be checked especially when you have stability issues. My PCChips 486 was behaving oddly sometimes (it even crashed). At first I thought that since the board is from a crappy brand it was the culprit. However the PSU smelled very bad and so I opened it to clean it completely and even though the caps were not bulging, to me they didn't look right (and they were from a cheap brand). I decided to replace all of them and now the computer has no more stability issues. Every time I recaped a PSU, the computer it was running from became more stable

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative