VOGONS

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

though I have no idea on what X-Cable to use. I have posted this question on Lemon64 as well, though I think it can not hurt to ask the same question here as well. 🤣

I want to buy an X-Cable, because it seems like the cheapest way to test my C64-C. And if it is working, I will get an SD2IEC adaptor and possible a 1542-II drive in the future. Now... There seems to be different versions of such a cable on eBay. And I have found two from germany and one from United Kingdom.

Germany: (both grey cable)
X-1541
XE-1541

UK: (black cable)
XM-1541

My question is... Wich cable to use, when I want to use an old IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium-M that has an LPT-port, for simulating a floppy drive? Can I just use eighter one of the three or can they only be used for connecting a C64 Floppy drive to my PC?

The thing is. That none of the cables state that they can be used for sharing d64 files, as it is only stated that they can be used for connecting a C64-Floppy drive to a PC.

Sorry for my messy post. I have seen the thing being shown off on youtube a couple of times, so I want to do this with my 64 as well.
I am only confused by the item description on all three cables on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any help if possible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1 of 7, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You really can't use a PC as a floppy drive- the parallel port timing is not good enough, even under DOS (realtime). There have been solutions that sort of worked, but not well.

Those cables are for attaching an old PC to a disk drive for reading/writing disks.

For storage, the least expensive way is to get (or build) and sd2iec device. They are also not disk drive emulation (they are more like a CMD hard drive emulator) but you can still run most things.

Reply 2 of 7, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to look what the software you want to use supports.

I have a X1541 cable and use 64hdd.

The free version only support normal loading (standard kernel, no fastloader)

But x1541 does not work with each mainboard, bios and maybe not on faster cpu's. (parallelport much be set to standard, normal, or spp in bios)

I use it with an mainboard from a siemens pc, with a 500mhz Pentium3.
Also sucessfully tested with a Pentium 1 200Mhz.

And a cable may not be much cheaper then a SD2IEC.

But, the cable can later also used to write images from pc to 1541-II or a Tape.

Reply 3 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks...
This is more or less the same answers I got on Lemon64. The route I want to go, is the route of 64HDD on a Dos computer.
The only difference, is that on Lemon64, a user have adviced me to use an XM-1541 cable and not the X-1541 cable.
I will buy an SD2IEC instead then. Only have to wait untill next month. Thanks for the advices. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep I looked into the alternatives a while back and ended up just diving in and buying a 1541 Ultimate II, which I've grown to love with all my heart.

My experience with a C64 was that it had issues after being in storage for years, but they're easy (and fun!) to fix. Finding a solution for a safe PSU was the biggest challenge I found.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tim1075 wrote:

What solution did you find? Something other than Ray Carlsen's PSU?

I just made one out of off the shelf power packs in the end: Commodore 64 revival (warning, wall of pics)

I also have a C128 PSU with an adapter which works fine, but it has the old Commodore PSU hum that bothers me, and it's still very old hardware these days.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tim1075

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

I just made one out of off the shelf power packs in the end: Commodore 64 revival (warning, wall of pics)

I also have a C128 PSU with an adapter which works fine, but it has the old Commodore PSU hum that bothers me, and it's still very old hardware these days.

Yes, I have a simular experience. For the moment I am still using my C64c powerbrick but it generates quite a lot of heat so I have been searching for an appropriate replecement. Ray Carlsen's PSU looks excellent but the price and especially shipping charges put me off. I also bought a first generation adapter from retrogamesupply but it generates an annoying hum that resonates to the speaker 🙁 while pasting the url I see that there is a second generation PSU for twice the price though.

I will look into your solution. At first glance it looks like an affordable alternative. Thanks!