VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I just received an old Olivetti 286 PC that came with a Micropolis ST506 MFM HDD on a WD1006V-SR2 controller :

nppCX85l.jpg

the DALLAS RTC has died (ofcourse...) so the geometry info in BIOS is lost. But I am unsure what to enter as MFM drives are not my specialty 🤣
I wouldn't care tbh but maybe there is something interesting in the HDD 😊

TIA for any info/help!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found the model on a sticker in the back, it's a 1335 Micropolis drive: http://www.mfarris.com/hard/specs_micropolis/ … polis_1335.html
Still it does not boot 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MFM controller has its own BIOS so you have to set the drive in main BIOS to none and it should work. Keep in mind that the drive is tied to the controller and any other controller can't read it.

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ really? I did not try that, will do and report back! I hope it does work, maybe the hdd holds interesting stuff inside 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it does not respond then micropolis has a sticky rubber bumper inside the HD that head stack is stuck to it. Take it out and prepare for data backup, right after turning on, bump the micropolis firmly with your open palm on the side (viewed photo as on right side, hit this side). You will know heads starts to seek, then copy over to spare drive.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ tried that, it did not help... you might be on to something though as I only hear the drive spin - no head sounds.