VOGONS

First post, by DeChief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few months ago I got a Commodore PC 20-II for free along with the matching keyboard, a weird Thompson monitor I've never seen before (it has SCART as well as 9-pin RGB input), a third party mouse, and a boatload of loose disks. The system boots up just fine, but the HDD does nothing (as expected, pretty much every vintage computer I own came with a dead drive), but neither does the 5.25" floppy drive.

I managed to get it to boot a Commodore PC-DOS disk after a few tries, but now it won't do anything. I've tried using one of those drive cleaning disks with some IPA, as well as attempting to re-align the disk spinner (since it wobbles around noticeably when trying to read disks) all to no avail.

I've been told that this system uses a proprietary floppy drive controller and that I can't replace the drive with any old regular one, so my question is this:

If I get an IBM PC/XT floppy drive ISA card, would it work in this machine? Is there anything I should be careful of?

Reply 1 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DeChief wrote:

I've been told that this system uses a proprietary floppy drive controller and that I can't replace the drive with any old regular one, so my question is this:

You can replace it with a decent subset of floppy drives, I would think.
The main difference is that your floppy drive needs to have a 'motor on on drive select' capability, since the controller does not send a separate 'motor on' signal.
So you'd see the led coming on when the drive is accessed, but the motor won't spin.
You could probably modify any drive by just jumpering the drive select and motor on pins.

Second thing is that it doesn't use the 'twisted cable' trick where all drives are configured as drive B, and the twist makes the drive after the twist effectively drive A.
So you need to be able to jumper the drive to A.

DeChief wrote:

If I get an IBM PC/XT floppy drive ISA card, would it work in this machine? Is there anything I should be careful of?

Probably won't work, because I don't think you can disable the onboard floppy controller. In which case they'd be conflicting.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 9, by DeChief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scali wrote:
You can replace it with a decent subset of floppy drives, I would think. The main difference is that your floppy drive needs to […]
Show full quote
DeChief wrote:

You can replace it with a decent subset of floppy drives, I would think.
The main difference is that your floppy drive needs to have a 'motor on on drive select' capability, since the controller does not send a separate 'motor on' signal.
So you'd see the led coming on when the drive is accessed, but the motor won't spin.
You could probably modify any drive by just jumpering the drive select and motor on pins.

Second thing is that it doesn't use the 'twisted cable' trick where all drives are configured as drive B, and the twist makes the drive after the twist effectively drive A.
So you need to be able to jumper the drive to A.

DeChief wrote:

Probably won't work, because I don't think you can disable the onboard floppy controller. In which case they'd be conflicting.

Sounds good. Got any recommendations for reliable and cheap-ish drives? Living in Australia makes shipping expensive from overseas, and not many drives show up here.

krivulak wrote:

Try changing cable. Mine didn't do anything when I got it, then i found out that the cable is dead and now it works.

Since the drive still spins I doubt this is the problem, but I'll try it anyway.

Reply 8 of 9, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I believe they were since I tried to use this drive in PC and it didn't work. My idea is that Amiga drives should work since Amiga and Commodore is the same company - Amiga is successor.

Reply 9 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
krivulak wrote:

Yeah, I believe they were since I tried to use this drive in PC and it didn't work. My idea is that Amiga drives should work since Amiga and Commodore is the same company - Amiga is successor.

Amiga drives have some signals reversed. They may or may not be compatible with the PC20-II without modifications. I'm not entirely sure.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/