VOGONS

Logitech F310 on Windows 98?

Topic actions

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As much as I love my Joysticks they are too cumbersome for my small retrogaming space - I was wondering if I could use any of my USB gamepads on a Windows 98 PC.. I'm looking at my Logitech F310 at the moment. The download pagefor the device lists drivers for "Windows XP (and older)" but I'm not sure if that can be trusted.. Does anyone use this gamepad on Windows 98?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 31, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is hell of a good controller I must say! Only thing I am missing though is vibrations... 🙁
I actually used it once on 98 machine and played Commander Keen with it. Just try it, the worst thing that can happen is it will not work. 😀

Reply 2 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
krivulak wrote:

This is hell of a good controller I must say! Only thing I am missing though is vibrations... 🙁
I actually used it once on 98 machine and played Commander Keen with it. Just try it, the worst thing that can happen is it will not work. 😀

F510 has the vibrations IIRC, but I was never big on rumble or Force Feedback in gamepads, they only feel right to me on wheels, and to an extent on joysticks.

I'll certainly try it, I hope it works. Would be interesting to play Descent and all those awesome 90s/2000s space sims with a controller instead of a joystick!

Reply 4 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the Logitech Dual Action work on 98? Because the F310 in DirectInput mode is basically the Dual Action (even identifies as such).

I could try it myself as I have an F310, but unfortunately my Win98 SE machine is not in the same physical location as the gamepad... 🙁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 31, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

appiah4,

That download page you linked isn't just a driver. That's the Logitech Gaming Software which allows you to program compatible gamepads and even some mice like the G300/G300s. I strongly advise that you DO NOT install that version under Win9x because it no longer supports it.

I too am a big fan of the F310. I really think it's the best all-around gamepad device for PCs, old and new. The DirectInput/XInput switch on the back is what makes it so good for such a wide array of applications. If you've only got room for one gamepad, the F310 is the one to get. However, it does have a couple of minor drawbacks: small-but-noticeable deadzones in the analog sticks, and a lack of the rumble feature. Some folks also bitch about the D-Pad, but I have no complaints with it. I mean, clearly the original NES/SNES and PS1/PSX/PS2 controllers had superior D-Pads, but the F310 works well enough and doesn't require an adapter to do it.

(I still prefer an original PS1/PSX DualShock with a Mayflash adapter for emulation purposes. The iBuffalo SNES knock-off controller is also very good. For pure emulation purposes, this one looks even better, but I haven't purchased one yet.)

If you choose to use the Logitech Gaming Software, you can also program the F310 with it. Personally, I prefer JoyToKey (final Win9x version here) for programming my input devices. However, I do use the Logitech Gaming Software along with a G300 mouse on a dedicated WinXP legacy gaming machine. Anyway, the last version of the Logitech Gaming software for Win9x, v4.60, is here:

http://support.logitech.com/en_au/article/813 … i00000069uh5AAA

It doesn't mention the F310 as a supported device, but as dr_st already mentioned, the F310 in DirectInput mode is recognized as a "Logitech Dual Action" by Windows. v4.60 of the Logitech Gaming Software does support the Dual Action gamepard, so I think it's worth trying out with very minimal risk to be had.

It may also be possible to get the F310 working in XInput mode under Win9x. See here for details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/119841-xbox36 … iver-for-win98/

Please do let us all know how it works out.

The older Logitech Wingman Software may also be worth trying out if you hate the Logitech Gaming Software. The final two Win9x compatible versions are here:

v3.30
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/ws_330.txt
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/ws330enu.exe

v3.65
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/ws365enu.txt
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/ws365enu.exe

Note: Other language versions are also available at:
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/

Note: If you are one of the rare weirdos like myself who owns a Cyberman 2 controller, the Logitech Wingman Software seems to work better than the Logitech Gaming Software.

Reply 6 of 31, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally, I would edit my previous reply, but I feel this is worth a new posting.

I've tested the F310 in DirectInput mode in Win98SE with Logitech Wingman Software v3.30 and v3.65. Both versions work without any problems.

However, I would recommend v3.30 of the Logitech Wingman Software. It feels leaner and lighter. The v3.65 variant of the software tries to force the Logitech "profiler" on you.

Reply 7 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for this information. You saved me from having to pack my controller for the trip to test it. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 31, by DW74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

If you choose to use the Logitech Gaming Software, you can also program the F310 with it. Personally, I prefer JoyToKey (final Win9x version here) for programming my input devices. However, I do use the Logitech Gaming Software along with a G300 mouse on a dedicated WinXP legacy gaming machine. Anyway, the last version of the Logitech Gaming software for Win9x, v4.60, is here:

I just registered to say that this is the only one that worked for me. Just threw together a little 98 retro machine and my F310 arrived today. The 2 Wingman files you suggested at the bottom of your post would not see the controller (3.30 and 3.65), but the Logitech gaming software 4.60 did. 98SE, PIII 933, Voodoo 5.

Reply 10 of 31, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't get the Logitech working try getting a Saitek P750. Works on my Win98 rig no problem!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 11 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DW74 wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

I just registered to say that this is the only one that worked for me. Just threw together a little 98 retro machine and my F310 arrived today. The 2 Wingman files you suggested at the bottom of your post would not see the controller (3.30 and 3.65), but the Logitech gaming software 4.60 did. 98SE, PIII 933, Voodoo 5.

This is strange, 3.30 sees the controller for me. Did you make sure you flipped the bottom side switch from Xinput to Directinput?

Reply 12 of 31, by BoozerDawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, sorry for the thread bump, I'm looking at creating a Win 98 PC at the moment, and looking at controller options. Thanks to this thread I found out the F310 works with 98 and I can still buy them today, but I also noticed the F710 is available too (with rumble support/wireless), and I wondered if anyone had any experience getting this to work with 98 too? Do these pads use the same drivers? Does the software allow calibration of the dead zones?

Thanks in advance 😀

Reply 15 of 31, by PixelPolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry for necroing this thread, but considering I was looking for this information just today might indicate that the info I've got is still and will be relevant for as long as people try to play retro games with modern peripherals 😉

Logitech F710 definitely works under Win98SE with all latest updates. All you need to do is to switch it to Direct Input mode (D and X switch at the back, X for Xinput mode). Windows 98 SE identifies it as RumblePad 2 (aah, my first quality pad back in the day) and works like a charm. Analog triggers work as digital buttons, so you don't lose any buttons in the process. Enjoying Shadow Man using that gamepad as we speak 😀

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw

My YouTube Channel

Reply 16 of 31, by BoozerDawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it again, but the F710 (in Direct Input mode) shows up was Logitech Wireless F710, and windows cant find any drivers for it. I have the Logitech software (4.60 i think) installed, but cant seem to find any drivers for it.

Reply 17 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's strange; My F310 and F510 show as Dual Action / Rumblepad when in Direct Input mode. I guess I should try them on Win98 as well.

Reply 18 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

That's strange; My F310 and F510 show as Dual Action / Rumblepad when in Direct Input mode. I guess I should try them on Win98 as well.

Same.

Reply 19 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested all my controllers in Windows 98, Me and 2000.

No surprises here; in DInput mode, F310 shows as "Dual Action" and F510 as "Rumblepad 2 USB"; they work with the standard USB Human Interface Device driver, no special software is necessary.

The latter is true about my Xeox controllers as well. Not sure why the the F710 should behave differently. Either BoozerDawg has made a mistake or his controller is somehow defective.