VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a PB55A based 386 pacakard bell that has 16K built in cache and has sockets to upgrade it to 32K. I have ordered 3 or 4 different types of cache that I thought was right, but I can't seem to get it to work. I was having issues with the system locking up when I would enable the upgraded cache and would have to reboot. However last week I installed QEMM and this apparently gives some information about an error instead of a lockup. Any ideas what could be causing this? I don't think it is bad cache chips cause I have another identical chip and no matter how I swap them around I always get the error. I recently received this ..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281657529309?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thinking I needed 8k x 8, however when I run the CACHE32.COM file to enable the extra cache the system locks up with these chips (it doesn't lock when running cache32.com with the winbond chips installed, just any program you run after running cache32.com.

Kinda at my wits end trying to get the 32k cache to work. My BIOS is an older version that the documentation states that I need the cache32.com file to access the extra cache. If anyone has any tips to try, these tired eyes would love to read them.

Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_1159.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1159.JPG
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1158.JPG
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although this might be a bit of a shot in the dark, perhaps one of the modules you bought was defective...OR maybe your system is just very picky about which modules it can accept. In older manuals, manufacturers would often specify certain models and brands of cache for their systems, though I have personally never had a problem using any brand I like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT5C6408-15-MICRON-62 … cQAAOSw1x1UNEo0

These are modules similar to the ones that are surface mounted to your board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 9, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was my last ditch effort too was to put the exact same brand that is already onboard. I assume mixing the -15 timing won't matter with the onboard -25. I can find -25 timed chips but they are about 6 times the price.

Reply 3 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Faster is better. No point going 25ns

Any luck finding a newer BIOS?

Reply 4 of 9, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the micron cache chips on their way and should be here probably this monday. I will try these out and see if i get different results.

I would love to find an updated bios but I can't seem to come up with anything looking on ebay or google searches. From the original spec sheet:

128K Phoenix BIOS Rel. D 1.01.07 Phoenix 1.01.17 (latest Rel. F Phoenix 1.01.08 Phoenix 1.01.17 (latest) SETUP <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Esc>

My current BIOS is 1.01.08 and if i am not mistaken I believe this BIOS can't be flashed unless it is programmed externally, but I still haven't been able to find a definite BIOS file. An update would be ideal since it omits the need for the usage of cache32.com

Reply 5 of 9, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the Micron chips today and got them installed. Same exact behaviour. I don't know if the cache32.com file is to blame or just what is going on. Cachechk v4 will show 32k of cache after invoking cache32.com, but launching windows, MSD, or practically any other program gets the application crash I posted eariler.

Attachments

• 20170522_163121.jpg
    Filename
    20170522_163121.jpg
    File size
    4.71 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that pretty much rules out the issue with faulty cache chips. Time to focus on locating an updated BIOS.

Reply 7 of 9, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you recommend I keep searching ebay for a new BIOS chip, or is there a company or service that specializes in old BIOS chips?

If I was lucky enough to find the BIOS file online I know nothing about chip programmers. Would something like this be what I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-USB-Program … 2EAAOSwYHxWOFkv

Reply 8 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this is going to be a 1 time thing, then just use a service. If you plan to program more chips in the future, it might be worth investing in a programmer. I bought a second hand "Wellon" VP280 for under $50. It also supports a lot of other common legacy ICs. Whatever you do, make sure your programmer uses an external power supply so you can program chips that need higher than 5v

Reply 9 of 9, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was circling back around and wondered if anyone has a newer BIOS for their packard bell that might fix my issue with the cache upgrade.

Found the motherboard here

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/4131

But they don't have a newer BIOS or one to download for that matter.

I do have EPROM's and a programmer now, so if I can just get the BIN file I should be good to try any newer versions than 1.01.08

Thanks