VOGONS

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, love this site!

I'm new to this forum, and it's been a long time since I worked on/used machines of this age. But I got the bug and alas, here we are.

I picked this up last week for $40. The machine is a Data General Pentium 100 Mhz, with a dual Socket 5 board (Intel?). I am having trouble finding the make/model. It has onboard video (not sure of type/VRAM amount), and all that is currently installed is a network card.

It came with a Tandberg TDC 3820DG Rev 2 tape drive, and a Toshiba 4x Caddy CDrom drive, Model XN-3501B. Both are SCSI, which I'm unfamiliar with and don't have the right media to use anyway. Also has a standard 3.5" floppy.

I was able to install Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1, which is a huge accomplishment for a newb like me. I swapped in a more modern CDRW since it's all I had sitting around. Also put in a 40GB IDE hard drive for now. I also have an ISA Sound Blaster 16 ct4170 card that I haven't installed yet. Need to figure out the best way to go about that, and to find the proper drivers.

I have a 5 1/4" floppy drive that I picked up, but can't seem to get it to work in this machine. All other drives are working properly.

I'd love to get the 5.25" drive working, as I have some old disks that I'm hoping are still good. But it doesn't seem to work no matter how I hook it up, either sharing the floppy cable with the 3.5" drive, or alone by itself. The bios says it is disabled, and shows both Drive A and Drive B, so I know it should be able to recognize and use both floppy drives. What's more - I hooked it up to my circa-1999 Gateway Win98 PC, and the drive operates. Any ideas?

Here are a few poor pictures, as it's still sort of apart. Anyone have any info on these machines? I'm not too familiar with Data General, but it seems to be mid-90's era.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender.jpg
File size
799.99 KiB
Views
File comment
As it came to me
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0345.JPG
Filename