VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to pentium motherboards and pentium cpus in 100-120Mhz range, does it make a speed difference if you compare a motherboard with 256Kb of cache and 512Kb of cache?
I have 2 pentium AT motherboards. One of them is socket 5 motherboard with 256Kb of on board cache and the other one is a socket 7 motherboard that has 512Kb coast cache module. There are things about the socket 5 motherboard that I like more compared to the other one, but I would probably still use the socket 7 motherboard if having more cache matters even if the cache is in a separate module.

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a small, but measurable improvement going from 256 to 512. I want to say something like 1-5%.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends more on how much RAM your machine is running. If you have enough L2 cache to cache all your ram, you should be fine. Increasing the amount of L2 cache won't have any noticeable impact on performance, but using too little cache or to much ram can cause your machine to slow-down.

Reply 3 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what is the ram limit for 256kb cache or does it depend on the size of the tag chip?
I could put either 64Mb or 96Mb of ram on the motherboard. I have 2x32Mb edo ram modules and 2x16Mb edo ram modules.

Reply 4 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Max cacheable ram on intel socket7 chipsets is 64mb (intel 430FX, 430VX and 430TX). Only exception is the 430HX which can do a lot more depending on the amount of cache.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 5 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose even 64Mb is bit too much for a pentium system. I only had 16mb in my pentium system that I bought back in 1995 with win95.
If I use 64Mb of ram, do I need 512Kb of cache for it?

Reply 6 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil did some cache tests in one of his 486 videos. Can't remember which one, though. Here they are if you want to look for it:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5T8bm … XxdDdMJ8MokDwSq

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

It depends more on how much RAM your machine is running. If you have enough L2 cache to cache all your ram, you should be fine. Increasing the amount of L2 cache won't have any noticeable impact on performance, but using too little cache or to much ram can cause your machine to slow-down.

Cache size does matter. Bigger cache means more buffering of the data CPU is processing.

Simple: bigger cache = better performance.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs