VOGONS

First post, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've bought a Super Socket 7 board off eBay with an AMD K6-2 500 MHz and 64 MB of RAM and awaiting its arrival. It has 1x AGP, 3x PCI and 3x ISA. I'll probably be putting it in an AT case, replacing my 486 board and now have a choice of graphics and sound cards that I already have.

Primary 2D/3D graphics card:

- ATI Rage Pro AGP
- Zotac GeForce FX5200 128MB 64bit DDR PCI
- Matrox Millenium PCI (from the 486 build)

Add-on card for Glide:

- Voodoo2 12 MB PCI (Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2)

I've also been thinking about getting an AGP/PCI Voodoo 3 later and replacing the primary video card + Voodoo2 combo with the Voodoo 3; would that be worth the investment?

Audio card:

- SoundBlaster 16 ISA + Roland SCB-7 Daughterboard (iirc it’s a CT2230, from the 486 build)
- SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Player PCI (Emu10k1)

I’m planning on mostly using it for Windows-based Glide games + games from the past-Glide Direct3D era (nothing fancy, though).

So:

- Should I go with the Rage Pro or the GeForce FX5200 for the video card? I guess the Matrox is out, or is there any good reason I might prefer it in combination with the Voodoo 2?
- If I wanted DOS gaming support, I guess I should go with the SB16, but is there any advantage of going with the SB Live! when targetting Glide/Direct3D-era games on Windows (or disadvantage of using the SB16 for games from that era)?
- Wonder if the K6-2 setup together with the SB16 could “replace” the 486 build more or less for early-to-late-90s DOS games too, or if for best results I should keep the 486 build (with Matrox + SB16) and go with Rage Pro / FX5200 + Voodoo2 + SB Live for the Windows build?

I’m planning on using Windows 98 SE for the Windows build, which should probably be fitting for games from that era.

Reply 1 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also been thinking about getting an AGP/PCI Voodoo 3 later and replacing the primary video card + Voodoo2 combo with the Voodoo 3; would that be worth the investment?

Better speed, better picture quality. Might have problems with some Glide DOS games though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 2, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the overlap with your 486 is huuuuge. to me, not different enough to warrant a build so close in era.

I'd go with the sb16 and not the live, that way you get good sound support in dos that the live lacks. the k6 will give you good performance with pentium era demos + games the 486 couldnt handle 😜 and can run win98!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--