VOGONS

First post, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

id like to find a modded bracket to make a coolmaster t3/t4 or evo 212 fit but barring that what were the biggest heatsinks that would fit this socket? something server maybe?

Reply 1 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what use?

if you want to go all out you can try to find, maybe even make your own water cooling loop for 370. The one thing you need to know is that you shouldn't mount giant radiators on a Socket 370. The mounting is just a few plastic nibs, and I would never rely on them to hold a massive heatsink.

Reply 2 of 10, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+1 to what Ampera said about the socket.

During socket 462's heyday big heavy performance heatsinks were known for breaking lugs off sockets. A modern heatpipe cooler would be worse since it's weight is further from the board causing a "lever" effect putting even more stress on the socket lugs.

Socket 370 chips aren't too hot and don't really need extreme cooling solutions. If you're after performance a modest socket 462 heatsink with a copper base should be good. If you're after silence look around on ebay for any socket 462 heatsink that uses an 80mm fan (which are somewhat uncommon BTW) and mount a silent 80mm fan on it.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gatewayuser200 wrote:
+1 to what Ampera said about the socket. During socket 462's heyday big heavy performance heatsinks were known for breaking lug […]
Show full quote

+1 to what Ampera said about the socket.

During socket 462's heyday big heavy performance heatsinks were known for breaking lugs off sockets. A modern heatpipe cooler would be worse since it's weight is further from the board causing a "lever" effect putting even more stress on the socket lugs.

Socket 370 chips aren't too hot and don't really need extreme cooling solutions. If you're after performance a modest socket 462 heatsink with a copper base should be good. If you're after silence look around on ebay for any socket 462 heatsink that uses an 80mm fan (which are somewhat uncommon BTW) and mount a silent 80mm fan on it.

The biggest coolers used through holes surrounding the socket for retention. The availability of these tended to be a mark of high end, "overclocker" boards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not generally on the Socket 370. They generally didn't kick out too much heat. Socket A, on the other hand...

19056.jpg

Heavy copper heatsinks were too much for mounting clips on the socket.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the advice i guess this amd cooler with a coper plug in the base will do just fine.

18741373_1454603204598967_1173481379_n.jpg
Filename
18741373_1454603204598967_1173481379_n.jpg
File size
74.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
shiozaki wrote:

thanks for the advice i guess this amd cooler with a coper plug in the base will do just fine.

if you have a spare 30 mm fan, add it to the chipset heatsink.
for anything upto socket 370/462 I use Athlon coolers as those are the highest rated TDP cooler that fit nearly any socket till then (Slot excepted ofcourse).
I repurposed a few athlon coolers to fit my socket 7 and socket 370 builds (usually its just cutting half of the metal not covering socket for anything that might block such huge heatsink and a pluss is that they usually come with 80 mm fans), no problem cooling those anymore even with OC

Reply 9 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps this will suit your needs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOI3_2-_Ug

Phil made a small review on it and I've been a very happy user of this cooler.

Reply 10 of 10, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps this will suit your needs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOI3_2-_Ug

Phil made a small review on it and I've been a very happy user of this cooler.

bought one for a k6 3+ 🤣 thanks.