VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have an 8-Port Belkin KVM. 2 of the ports I have hooked up to PC's that use serial mice. I have the same belkin db-9 female to male cable going from the PC to the KVM Switch in both ports. The KVM then electronically switches to allow the PS/2 mouse hooked up in the console port to work.

For the Pentium 1 machine running Windows 95, the system boots up, starts to load Windows, you hear the KVM switch its modes and the PS/2 mouse works fine once in Windows

For the 486 DOS / Win 3.11 machine, the system boots up, loads DOS, loads CuteMouse software, you hear the KVM Switch its modes but when you go into Edit mode in DOS and move the mouse, the cursor just shoots to the bottom left of the screen and doesnt move from there... or if you go into WIn 3.11, there is no mouse to use at all...

Trying to figure out why the mouse isnt working for the 486 machine. Plugging a serial mouse directly into the machine works fine.

Reply 1 of 2, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had this same exact issue with cutemouse (whether using my KVM or not). I know a lot of people use that driver as it's small, but I've had nothing but trouble with it on my 486.

I've had perfect success, however, with version 610 of Microsoft's driver. No need to use their newest ones, I've found, as they do the same but just take up more conv ram.

You can find them all here, and use the one that works for you: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/util_e.html

Hope that helps-

Reply 2 of 2, by ab0tj

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you have any luck with this? I have an 8-port Belkin and CuteMouse detects the KVM as a Microsoft Mouse, and the mouse mostly works but it jumps to the right when attempting to use it. The Microsoft driver seems to have similar results. No problem when using PS/2.