VOGONS

First post, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

simple question first i guess.

i have a asus cubx-e and i got a pllls 1.4 with a socket adapter off ebay form the guy in korea.

do i need to update my bios with a modded one to use this cpu?

im planning on doing this mod to add raid support the my mobo.http://www.geocities.ws/tuacubx/raid/cubxraid1.htm

seems pretty straight forward, flash custom bios, do hardware mod.

first question, if i need to use a already modified bios, how hard would it be to add the tualtain mircocode or check if it already has it?

it says i need to mod the mobo but if im reading this right i could just mod the ide cable.

thanks for any input.

Reply 2 of 5, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tytinflower wrote:

flashing bios and doing the hardware mod is on the right path. also, how do you plan on modding the ide cable out of curiosity?

not sure i have a few ideas, but i was looking for more advice of the subject.

Reply 4 of 5, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure modding the cable directly is possible... without knowing exactly what function these resistors perform, I'd say you'd want the resistor as close to the motherboard socket as possible on the cable. This kinda knocks out the modding of the adapters, too. Also, if you use 80 wire cable instead of 40 wire, you're going to have a heck of a time soldering a resistor to the cable itself.

You may have to break down and just solder onto the motherboard, bridging pin 36 (and 37 if that's the chip you have) with a 150K resistor to pin 2. There's a pinout table on this page if you need one.

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 5 of 5, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
atariangamer wrote:

I'm not sure modding the cable directly is possible... without knowing exactly what function these resistors perform, I'd say you'd want the resistor as close to the motherboard socket as possible on the cable. This kinda knocks out the modding of the adapters, too. Also, if you use 80 wire cable instead of 40 wire, you're going to have a heck of a time soldering a resistor to the cable itself.

You may have to break down and just solder onto the motherboard, bridging pin 36 (and 37 if that's the chip you have) with a 150K resistor to pin 2. There's a pinout table on this page if you need one.

yes yes yes, but what about these adapters that plug straight in the board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syba-SD-CF-IDE-DI-IDE … kQAAOSwezVWvjIH

cant get much closer to the boards really.

thank you for the reply.