VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shipping cost and the eBay premium will make it difficult as you're trying to be period correct. If you allow yourself the option of buying from any online posting, I think it will be interesting and feasible.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

Shipping cost and the eBay premium will make it difficult as you're trying to be period correct. If you allow yourself the option of buying from any online posting, I think it will be interesting and feasible.

Not a only that but I have to make alot of compromises. I can pretty much kiss the idea of a Bigfoot, voodoo1 or awe goodbye. But nothing says I can't buy those parts down the rode.

As of now I made a few offers on a CPU and found a few power supply's Im eyeballing.

Reply 22 of 49, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might well be better off using amibay rather than ebay. There are a good number of complete pentium & 486 systems on there now within your budget.

for example :http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?91774-Ol … esktop-computer

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 24 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
psycotrip wrote:

if you scrounge the ebay thread for a week and find a local case with a power supply, with your motherboard you could do it for less

Yeah I beginning to think this will not be possible when it comes to the case.
But who said I have to use a AT case? I could get a old ATX case. I used plenty of AT boards in ATX cases, at the most you just need to drill/tap a few holes in the case.

Reply 25 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I think I may be able to get a v2200 for cheap. Its listed at 12$ and I made a offer. Hopefully I can get it before someone sees it.
Id like to be under 10$ for a video card. but 5$ is better. I know its not the best dos card, but I always wanted one.

Reply 26 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Jackpot! I scored a MYSTIQUE for 9.95$!
It a listed by it's part number so I don't think anyone saw it.
It's only a 2mb card, but it will do.

Reply 27 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

For 8$ I got a 2x32MB Smart ram kit. Its more then what I wanted to spend on ram, but pc133 ram will limit any overclocking problems ram wise I may run into. I always wanted MMX pent system with a 300mhz cpu ad I'll probably get some better parts after I complete the system.

Reply 30 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

Looking very doable

Indded, just got a Psu for 2$ shipped. No other bidders and free shipping!
I'd hate to be the seller.

Also I'm getting such good deals by looking up part numbers and comon miss spellings.

So what's left?
Sound card, CPU, heat sink cables, anything else?
Oh yeah the blasted case, that's where I brake the budget I bet.

Reply 31 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I haven't bought any new parts yet. Trying to find the right heatsink. And a CPU for the right price.
What ever CPU I get I'll be replacing it down the road with a 266mhz mmx pentium. Once I find a better board.

Anyway I don't have much left to get, but I can't find any old case for a good price other then OEM Dells and what not.

Reply 32 of 49, by Youldiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ofc you cant, all depends in what condition you will get stuff! once i got it in such a bad condition that i had to take carisoprodol to be able to relax that night...

Last edited by Youldiz on 2017-07-07, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well true, I could put together such a system for 50$, but it would not work. 😲

I think I can do it, but I'll be going without a case for a long time if I buy one on ebay.

Reply 35 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

The best bet for a cheap AT case is finding one locally somehow

Or a OEM case. I seen a few dell's and not much more then the price of shipping on ebay. But I don't want a dell case.
But hay, technically a case is a peripheral. 🤣

Reply 36 of 49, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man you got lucky, I can usually find nothing but scary overpriced parts on EBay. Usually it's; "Would you rather pay $300+ for an already built system with a likely bad hard drive" or "$300 for a 386 motherboard"
😒

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM
1MB Trident 3D capable GPU
250GB Western Digital IDE drive
OS(s): Windows 98/Windows 2000 SP1

Reply 37 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
0101000000110101 wrote:

Man you got lucky, I can usually find nothing but scary overpriced parts on EBay. Usually it's; "Would you rather pay $300+ for an already built system with a likely bad hard drive" or "$300 for a 386 motherboard"
😒

The thing to do is to look up part numbers. So many parts out of old HP, packard bell's and dell's for next to nothing.

I got a 200mhz mmx Pentium and a heatsink for 5.95$, was listed as a Compaq 586/200

So all I have left is the case, sound card and IDE cables.
Id say I can do it if I don't by a case or sound card. I can't see to find any AT case out side of OEM case's for less then $50+shipping.
And I'm not a fan of cheap sound cards. But to be honest, did I say anything about needing sound? 🤣
Maybe I can find some IDE cables for a few dollars and a case on eBay close by and pick it up locally. 😕

Its getting down to the wire and I hope I can make it work.

Reply 38 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Well this sucks. I got the cpu the other day and the pins were all bent up from poor shipping.
I told the seller and he gave me a full refund and did not want the cpu back. I'll try and fix the bent pins, but there are a few that will likely brake. They are bent at 90 degrees 😵 and there is about 10-15 bent pins.
If I can fix them all I'll have a cpu/heat sink for free.