VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This is something I always wanted to try. But never got around to.
Building a cutstom dos system without any OEM parts or parts bought in lots off eBay for a total price of 100$ or less.

I just got a cheap socket7 motherboard and thought I give this a try.
So basically I want to keep the cost at or below 100$ with parts bought from eBay.
I'm not including software or none system components like keyboards and monitors.

As of now I only have the motherboard. This will be a long project as I'll be hunting down both period correct 1997 and older parts and at a low price.
Performance and nostalgia is not a goll here. The only goll is to build a fully working late dos early 9x system for less then a 100$ Useing parts from 97 and back. The case will be a b****.

Parts I have as of now.
Panasonic FDD drive. $5
Matrox MYSTIQUE $9.95
2 sticks of pc133 32mb ram $8
Bigfoot HDD $7.50
200w psu 2$
Cd/PD drive 10$
No name at slot1 motherboard with 440lx chipset 14$

Budget spent: $56.45 $spend $43.55 left.
Notes about a the parts:
The PSU was listed with a starting price of 2$ with free shipping, I got lucky with it.
The Matrox MYSTIQUE was listing as a Matrox MYST-2gb got lucky there too.

Parts I have that may be used temporarily to set up the system.
A few round IDE cables.
Realtek nic for copping files

Parts I already have that I will be using.
Fdd drive, age unknown, I believe I payed about 5$ for it on eBay a long time ago.
PD/cd drive. I have no clue what I payed for it, maybe 10$? That sound about right?

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-24, 02:53. Edited 12 times in total.

Reply 1 of 49, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've picked up quite a few S3 Trio/ViRGE cards for less than $5 USD each over the years, so that's a good possibility for a video card if you can find one. I've also seen quite a few under $10 USD ATI Rage cards from 1995-1997 on eBay before, so that's also a thing to look at. The Matrox cards sell for too much because they are probably being sold as spares for industrial PCs.

Hard Drive will be one of the most challenging I think, up there with the case. Finding an old one, that works, at a good price, and not have it damaged in shipping is a nightmare.

iirc, on one of Phil's latest videos he mentioned he had a 20% off coupon for Electromyne. You might be able to grab CPU, ISA sound card, possibly a video card and some RAM then combine postage and get it at a good price.

Reply 2 of 49, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keen to see how you go with that budget 😀

For me it's the shipping costs that kill it unfortunately. A motherboard bundle, like board, CPU, cooler, RAM and a GPU is a good start though.

Seeing you already got the board, if you can get a complete PC with all the other parts like case, a PCI graphics card, an ISA sound card, an IDE HDD and ODD, then this should be quite possible.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want to have to deal with the nightmare of trying to get a working IDE drive, you can always get a SATA card. There are quite a few that should work just fine and are really cheap.

The Promise S150 TX2 or TX4 would be a good choice. Doesn't necessarily have to be sold by Promise, you just want one with the Promise S150 chipset.

As for building a system with parts off of eBay for $100 or less... might be doable, but will probably take a while to find parts cheap enough.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These exist, but I don't know if they work as well as the cheap CF card adapters.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SD-To-3-5-40Pin-Male-I … EcAAOSwRLZT102D

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 49, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Performance and nostalgia is not a goll here. The only goll is to build a fully working late dos early 9x system for less then a 100$ Useing parts from 97 and back. The case will be a b****.

There is a fundamental contradiction here. You cannot say that your "goll" does not include performance and nostalgia and then throw in an arbitrary restriction like "parts from 97 and back". Especially if you're concerned about the case.

You can probably build a "fully working late dos early 9x system" with largely arbitrary parts that will probably be entirely adequate for a large range of games without having to account for such concerns.

Reply 7 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Keen to see how you go with that budget 😀

For me it's the shipping costs that kill it unfortunately. A motherboard bundle, like board, CPU, cooler, RAM and a GPU is a good start though.

Seeing you already got the board, if you can get a complete PC with all the other parts like case, a PCI graphics card, an ISA sound card, an IDE HDD and ODD, then this should be quite possible.

Honestly I'd like to stay away from items listed as lots. In other words I'd like to buy everything separate for a bigger challenge.

Jorpho wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

There is a fundamental contradiction here. You cannot say that your "goll" does not include performance and nostalgia and then throw in an arbitrary restriction like "parts from 97 and back". Especially if you're concerned about the case.

I don't Fallow you on bit. The 97 and back deal in there to make things harder. No modern hhd, cd drives CF cards and cases will make things far more challenging.

cyclone3d wrote:

If you don't want to have to deal with the nightmare of trying to get a working IDE drive, you can always get a SATA card. There are quite a few that should work just fine and are really cheap.

The Promise S150 TX2 or TX4 would be a good choice. Doesn't necessarily have to be sold by Promise, you just want one with the Promise S150 chipset.

My nightmare is a sata to pata card. I never had any good luck with them.
But who says I'll be useing ide? Maybe I'll use a ffd drive and a lady-120 or Zip disk drive? Or maybe scsi? No I'll probably use a ide drive if the budget allows.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-06, 03:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

I don't Fallow you on bit. The 97 and back deal in there to make things harder. No modern hhd, cd drives CF cards and cases will make things far more challenging.

Hmm... I think you're going to find it very difficult.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Hmm... I think you're going to find it very difficult.

Indeed that's the point. I think I'll be fine until I get to the case. But who knows I may get lucky and find one cheap. The psu could be problematic too.

Reply 10 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

My nightmare is a sata to pata card. I never had any good luck with them.
But who says I'll be useing ide? Maybe I'll use a ffd drive and a lady-120 or Zip disk drive? Or maybe scsi? No I'll probably use a ide drive if the budget allows.

I am not suggesting a SATA to PATA adapter. It is a PCI SATA controller card.

Personally I cannot stand spinning rust for a boot drive anymore. Doesn't matter the system. I put SATA SSDs in all my old builds.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 49, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

So instead of aiming for "performance and nostalgia", you're just purposefully aiming to make things needlessly difficult..? Yes, I'm sure this will be a long project. Maybe you should also only bid on auctions starting on even-numbered days. 😜

Reply 13 of 49, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's a fun project. Looking at these recycling shops, it seems quite doable. An AT case might be a challenge, but ATX cases can be had for little money.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 49, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
cyclone3d wrote:

Personally I cannot stand spinning rust for a boot drive anymore. Doesn't matter the system. I put SATA SSDs in all my old builds.

Nore do I, lucky most hard drives are not made of steel/iron but aluminum.

Reply 15 of 49, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could get lucky and get a complete build at a yard or estate sale for much less than 100. Just have to be diligent about trolling the neighborhood.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 49, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's possible to find similar era complete systems around $50-80 shipped on eBay (I've done that numerous times).

Looks like your board is AT so finding an AT case would definitely be the most expensive part. Try finding that locally or ask around vcfed or Amibay. The rest should be fairly easy.

Here's an AT PSU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-Power-Supply … t-/361998184104

Drives should be around $8-12 each. Another $30 or so for sound and video, then tack on another $15 for RAM and CPU

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 49, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

You could get lucky and get a complete build at a yard or estate sale for much less than 100. Just have to be diligent about trolling the neighborhood.

Craiglist has an occasional hidden gem as well. I picked up a half-dozen 386/486/Pentium 1 systems, with two VGA monitors, keyboards, and assorted peripherals for less than $100...

Reply 18 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Nore do I, lucky most hard drives are not made of steel/iron but aluminum.

"spinning rust" is just a nickname for hard drives. It isn't meant to mean it is made out of steel, iron, whatever.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK