VOGONS

Advice on an early 2000s gaming rig

Topic actions

First post, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been inspired by a few youtube channels recently (PhilsComputerLab being one of them) to go back to the early 2000s in computing. That was a huge gap in my experience, because my family pulled a 1998 mid-range Pentium II as our primary computer right up until a 3Ghz Pentium 4 HT in 2005. That said, I missed quite a few games and operating systems, and want to revisit them.

I can generally figure the builds out on my own, but there are two big questions that I need help answering: AMD vs Intel, and which chipset would be the best?

I'm intending to run FPS games like the Quake series, Half Life, Unreal (and engine games like Deus Ex), some racing games... mainly stuff from right up to the year 2000. While I've considered making Halo: CE my 'top spec' game... That game has rediculously high requirements, so I feel like ~1999 would be my target. Windows is my focus, so I've actually been considering running Windows ME. I know driver support can be finicky, but I've had three machines in the past running ME without a hitch, and I loved that OS.

Budget isn't really an issue, I'll be piecing this together over a few months... really hoping to find a decent 3DFX card instead of going anything else.

If there are any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 1 of 67, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you'll want to go a full step beyond the PII, which to me means a late PIII or an Athlon, maybe a Thunderbird. My Voodoo5 setup is a 1.4GHz Tualatin PIII. The top end of the 3dfx range certainly extends to 2000, beyond that is GeForce3/4/FX territory.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 67, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A PII isn't going to be comfortable for anything past Y2K.
I suggest aiming as the above, with a Geforce 2 GTs if possible or a Geforce 3, up to a geforce 4- past there compatability takes a dive.

Reply 3 of 67, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU and GPU demand grows substantially from year to year for early 2000 projects. So yea, I would also aim higher. You shouldn't run into many speed sensitive games I believe. A Socket A machine with a GeForce4 type card could be a good start? I'd also go with Windows XP.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 67, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was considering Athlon Thunderbird, possibly the 1.4Ghz chip on 133mhz FSB. But then Athlon XP has SSE... And if I really want SSE, why not just run to Pentium III?

And while I was hoping to take a look at 3dfx and glide, it seems like the only real card there *is* the Voodoo5, and those are more expensive than I realized. May just stick to that Geforce...

Are there any stand-out chipsets and/or boards for the early Socket A or Socket 370 platforms?

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 5 of 67, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An alternative is the AMD Duron. Often overlooked for some reason. But it's very strong and the later revisions do have SSE AFAIK.

Reply 6 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
atariangamer wrote:

I was considering Athlon Thunderbird, possibly the 1.4Ghz chip on 133mhz FSB. But then Athlon XP has SSE... And if I really want SSE, why not just run to Pentium III?

And while I was hoping to take a look at 3dfx and glide, it seems like the only real card there *is* the Voodoo5, and those are more expensive than I realized. May just stick to that Geforce...

Are there any stand-out chipsets and/or boards for the early Socket A or Socket 370 platforms?

If finding a PSU with good 5v values isn't a problem, you might even opt for a Palomino rig (something like a 2000+) and you will have SSE while having slightly faster speed.
You'll have a vast array of sA boards to choose from. Most noticeable chipsets for sA were NF and the VIA ones. I personally preferred the VIA ones, but these did have some bugs and such.
Another favorite of mine is the Tualatin 1400. Either Intel or VIA chipset again.
I'd use WinME as main OS for such a rig. XP is a bit too sluggish for my tastes and my Tualatin-s 1400 made due with a very rapid 20GB 2.5in harddrive which I loved using.
512MB RAM or slightly less (like 384MB) should do well enough, for NT5.x you'd need more RAM (which the Intel Tualatin boards cannot support).

The easiest way out for you might be to get a Tualatin capable s370 board, get a Tualatin-s 1400 CPU. Watch out for the taller IHS of the Tualatin and don't put too much pressure on those socket tab thingies. Also get a HSF which clamp around all 3 (or sometimes 2) of those socket tab extension thingies and bend the mounting clip of the HSF. These measures will reduce the odds of these tabs snapping (you don't want such a HSF dropping on your graphics card 🤣).

Palomino is roughly similar, except no IHS so most heavier sA heatsinks will do. PSU is the main issue here. Some boards are tricky to get stable, but that's part of the challenge 😁

And if you want easy mode, get a s478 i865 board (made by Intel) and go Northwood 800MHz FSB + SATA.

Forgot about the graphics card, I'd say something along the lines of GF2/GF3/GF4MX (perhaps GF4 or FX).

I did aim a bit more powerful purposefully here, you wouldn't want to build a rig that turned out to still be too slow, which makes you end up having to build another one (which might actually be a good thing 🤣)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 67, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atariangamer wrote:

But what is SSE (as opposed to SSE2) really good for? Are there any games or applications that require SSE or give significant performance boost?

EDIT:Oh, I remember one. Sudeki runs on Athlon XP but does not on Thunderbird.

Reply 8 of 67, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Steam is a big one.

Tetrium good point about XP being sluggish. I might try XP (Vanialla or SP1) on a slower machine just to see what it's like 😀

Reply 9 of 67, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you you are not interested in DOS (it seems), then: up to P4 2.0 (or able to downclock to this) Northwood, i845 (i865 for SATA, but potentially worse compatible), DDR 512x2 and GF3.

SRQ wrote:

I suggest aiming as the above, with a Geforce 2 GTs if possible or a Geforce 3, up to a geforce 4- past there compatability takes a dive.

When I tested Unreal Tourment, the cards up to GF3 had similar issues, while GF4 added own ones. I suspect the architecture difference since GF4 may reduce the compatibility with other games too.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 10 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Steam is a big one.

Tetrium good point about XP being sluggish. I might try XP (Vanialla or SP1) on a slower machine just to see what it's like 😀

I forgot about steam 😊 (I'm not using steam, so it's not something I know a lot about).
I found XP sluggish on anything not P4/AXP with at least 1GB of RAM, but the i865 Northwood I mentioned earlier, it's more of an XP rig.
XP is sluggish I think, but I liked using NLite on XP >=SP2.

atariangamer certainly has a lot of options 😄

I did use XP on a Coppermine 800 with something like 256MB RAM. Interesting to see what you think about its sluggishness Phil 😀
Server 2003 (which is basically based on XP) was much less sluggish btw, I had some trial version disk that I ended up installing, then tweaking it to become more of a desktop OS but this is a bit out of the scope of the original question that was asked here 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 67, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

atariangamer certainly has a lot of options 😄

More than I realized! 😲

After looking around a bit, I think I might want to go with Tualatin-s, just for the fact that I easily found one. And the mainboard... I've easily located VIAs Apollo Pro chipset for Tualatin, but intel has... i815? Which doesn't look anywhere near as nice in comparison.

Also, stumbled across a GA-6VXE7+ board that has ISA slots... bit expensive, but does this mean I could run nicer ISA sound cards in Windows?

Reply 12 of 67, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

CPU and GPU demand grows substantially from year to year for early 2000 projects. So yea, I would also aim higher. You shouldn't run into many speed sensitive games I believe. A Socket A machine with a GeForce4 type card could be a good start? I'd also go with Windows XP.

Basic rule for athlons was not to combine amd with nvidia and via versa. Heat and compabilty were the main issue back then. I suggest a athlon or duron combined with a ati 9600 or 9800 for a period correct machine. A thoroughbred s easy to OC if wanted but athlons require a decent cpu cooling.

When going with a PIII a tualatin with a Geforce 2 tI'll a Geforce 4 is best. The Intel 815EP is advices but is limited to 512 mb ram do a via chipset is also a option.
For a OS I could recommend either 98 or ME, I have a 'modded' version of ME which is stable and works great.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Steam is a big one.

I currently use XP SP 3 on my PII 450 Mhz it has 512 Mb Ram though, imo doesn't feel sluggish. Will dual boot xp and 98SE on my PIII so time will tell.

Reply 13 of 67, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was under the impression that ATI's Radeon series held the performance crown for games up through the X800 series until nVidia released their GeForce 6xxx series.

I have a similar build to what the OP wants. It's a Windows XP SP3 computer based around the AMD Athlon XP processor. When I built it in 2002, I used the 1800+ Palomino chip. The MB is an Abit KX7-333 without RAID. I also originally built it with 256 MB of DDR-266 (when XP was just SP1) and a Radeon 7500. Clearly, as a 2002-2003 build, it leaves something to be desired. Right now, it has an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton, 2GB of DDR-333 (rated at 400MHz), and a Radeon 9550. What I'm looking for now is a 9800 Pro or 9800 XT.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 67, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd build a nice Duron "Spitfire" , they are fast, cheap and what all the smart people had in 2000 ish era.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 15 of 67, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going with an early AthlonXP such in the 1500+/1700+ range with a DX8/9 class card (Radeon 9600 Series would be my pick for early 2000s) would probably define the early to mid 2000s IMO. PIIIs and Athlons are late 90s and would suffer pretty bad for any game from 2002 onwards. Just check out some Splinter Cell benchmarks.

Also as Phin said: Steam. 'nuff said.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 67, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My advice is to go for exactly what you always wanted before the prices go insane, you will have to keep in mind that some of even the best parts from this era might not be in the best condition anymore so replacing caps ect is a must. Socket A, 423, and 478 unless you want to go into deeper waters with a more exotic system like a 603/4 xeon build or a Pentium M rig. Almost anything dual socket with a proper agp slot is going to be really desirable by collectors.

The only major issue with socket A is finding a board that isn't shit quality wise and still works but there are still plenty of cheap oem boards if knows where to look. Also keep checking for lots and bundles as some people occasionally post some Awesome deals for like $30-40 that basically give you a whole system minus the case and drives. The pentium 4 stuff is still cheap but prices are rising on the choice stuff.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 67, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
BSA Starfire wrote:

I'd build a nice Duron "Spitfire" , they are fast, cheap and what all the smart people had in 2000 ish era.

Don't you mean the budget gamer pc? Most pple on a tight budget had duron, they were stable as hell and performed quite well but still budget.

nforce4max wrote:

My advice is to go for exactly what you always wanted before the prices go insane, you will have to keep in mind that some of even the best parts from this era might not be in the best condition anymore so replacing caps ect is a must.

The only major issue with socket A is finding a board that isn't shit quality wise and still works but there are still plenty of cheap oem boards if knows where to look. Also keep checking for lots and bundles as some people occasionally post some Awesome deals for like $30-40 that basically give you a whole system minus the case and drives. The pentium 4 stuff is still cheap but prices are rising on the choice stuff.

Asus A7N8X (one of the best Socket A boards with Nforce) are being sold alot lately on ebay under €40,- alot include a decent barton and or 1 Gb ddr.

Reply 18 of 67, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what's wrong with "budget" when it was as good as the Duron? Great little chips, fast and trouble free, what more could you ask for a period retro box?

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 19 of 67, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:

And what's wrong with "budget" when it was as good as the Duron? Great little chips, fast and trouble free, what more could you ask for a period retro box?

I agree but right now this is getting to be end where the posh stuff can still be had for reasonable prices let alone peanuts for those getting lucky. Duron for historical reasons is worth building plus it is fun building tinkering with a mix of posh and budget to make a more unique or interesting system. I just wish that it was still like how it was in the 2000s where there was a lot more to go around and prices were not so steep like $5-10 GF256s ect. My first V5 5500 agp off eBay no less only cost me $11 shipped but now days the prices are depressing which has forced me to hoard what I can.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.