VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im looking for ideas on a ps/2 keyboard. Im hoping to match it with my black Logitech SBF96 mouse.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 17, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm, if you're looking for a black keyboard, maybe search out the Dell AT101 or AT101W. They mostly come in beige, but black ones do exist. There are some black IBM Model Ms, too, but expect to pay out the nose for those. I'm not sure if they ever made a black version of the Northgate Omnikey or not, but if they did, that's another one to look at. There may be a PS/2 version of the Matias Tactile, but all the ones I've seen use USB.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After trying all sorts of fancy keyboards over the years I've come to accept that I'm a cheap rubber dome sort of a guy. For PS2 I use a MS Internet keyboard, and USB a 25 buck Lenovo. My bulky, expensive mechanical ones sit in the cupboard.

Not sure if the MS one comes in black but I wouldn't be surprised.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 17, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive been eye balling this even though it is beige, ill get beige if i have to. Not that I don't like beige, I just don't want to worry about stains and yellowing. 41RDNMPDK1L.jpg

Reply 5 of 17, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my DOS PC I use a Dell QuietKey. I like that the enter key is not L shaped and that the backslash (important for DOS commands) is above the Enter key so I can hit it with my right pinky without removing my hands from typing position.

On my Windows PC, I use a KeyTronic Lifetime Series. Both are solid and comfortable. They may make black versions, not sure.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 17, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes use a black Acer 6511 PS/2 keyboard on spare computers, It's a good keyboard and it has removable key caps since it's the older mechanical model, but the beige version is easier to find than the black ones.

Maybe an old Dell or Compaq keyboard would be worth getting for your setup, I think the KB-9963 and KB-9965 are good choices for Compaq since they seem to match your mouse pretty well, I use a Dell RT7D20 on my primary Windows gaming computer and it's pretty good too, fits in with just about any black desktop with PS/2 ports.

Reply 7 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like my IBM KPD8923 with the integrated trackpoint. Well, sorta. The trackpoint is kind of broken now, and even when it wasn't the mouse cursor had a tendency to drift, as if the nub wasn't re-zeroing itself at a sufficiently fast interval. I wouldn't mind getting another, but even though it's a membrane keyboard, they're shockingly expensive.

Reply 8 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually been using several RT7D20s for years now. Also use a similarly aged IBM keyboard, but don't have that one at hand.

I got these as these were dirty cheap (like €2 each) and I should have 1 or 2 extra spares (my mother also 'stole' one due to her keyboards having the tendency to either die or to malfunction). These were basically NIP (New In Plastic-wrapped-stuff) 🤣

I fear that my gray one is dying though (some keys don't want to always cooperate and it's seen years of heavy use, even ate together with me many a meals 🤣), kinda gotten attached to it. My black one is still in good working order. These seem to be virtually indestructible.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 17, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chicony 9810.

I bought two of them (actually three but one is dead).

One black and one white. I switched the keys to make one of them similar to old two-colored keyboards (letters white, special keys dark), and the other one is a negative of this pattern.

Reply 11 of 17, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes I miss the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard I had with my 1999 Windows 98 PC. It was split in the middle and angled to more naturally fit my hand position while typing. Used to drive EVERYONE ELSE up the wall trying to use that PC, but it was the most powerful PC in the house for years and even had a dedicated phone line running to it.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 12 of 17, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw that keyboard in local recycling center last week for sale for 4 euros. I thought that it looked too modern for a retro pc.

Oldskoolmaniac wrote:
Ive been eye balling this even though it is beige, ill get beige if i have to. Not that I don't like beige, I just don't want to […]
Show full quote

Ive been eye balling this even though it is beige, ill get beige if i have to. Not that I don't like beige, I just don't want to worry about stains and yellowing. 41RDNMPDK1L.jpg

Reply 13 of 17, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is a little modern but its got that clean retro look to it.

Reply 14 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I sometimes use a black Acer 6511 PS/2 keyboard on spare computers, It's a good keyboard and it has removable key caps since it's the older mechanical model, but the beige version is easier to find than the black ones.

Maybe an old Dell or Compaq keyboard would be worth getting for your setup, I think the KB-9963 and KB-9965 are good choices for Compaq since they seem to match your mouse pretty well, I use a Dell RT7D20 on my primary Windows gaming computer and it's pretty good too, fits in with just about any black desktop with PS/2 ports.

Picked up a 9965 because of you and typing on it now. Pleasant surprise indeed. Quite a nice keyboard.

Attachments

• 20170624_141306.jpg
    Filename
    20170624_141306.jpg
    File size
    591.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 15 of 17, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is your budget $$$ ?

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/filco-maje … sa-keyboard.asp
https://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Key … 2/dp/B004VKUSG6

MX-brown + works with both USB and PS2, a rarity these days...(!)

Only issue is the print on the caps gets worn after some time. (they do sell double shot caps separately, but costly)

Then there's the 'ninja' version, if you don't mind the odd look etc:
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa-filco- … on-keyboard.asp
https://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Key … 2/dp/B004Z0XR2O