VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is this cyrix cpu for sale for few euros and I was not able to recognize it based on the picture. Does anyone recognize it?

eb7b214a5e3b64b31e1e90e3a8b93-orig.jpg
Filename
eb7b214a5e3b64b31e1e90e3a8b93-orig.jpg
File size
375.16 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Too bad. I would have been more interested in buying it if it would have been 5x86 and compatible with 486 motherboards.

It is cheap and it seems to have the original Cyrix HSF (or at least the fan has a Cyrix logo...never seen one for myself I think).
It looks to be an early 6x86.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 15, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Too bad. I would have been more interested in buying it if it would have been 5x86 and compatible with 486 motherboards.

I googled "G8L4612F" and found the exact same image here. I says 6x86 on top of the fan.

Reply 7 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's for a few euros, I'd still consider purchasing it if I were you. It also comes with a s5/s7 HSF that clips directly on the CPU (might come in handy one day) and the HSF seems to be a stock Cyrix one (already mentioned that)correction:it is not clipped directly to the CPU, it's being held there with thermal paste whoops 😊 and I don't think these Cyrix's will get anymore less harder to find in the future...and those Cyrix's look very nice!

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-06-13, 14:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure that's a retail heatsink and fan? I didn't even know such a thing existed. Let's just say, compared to the Cyrix 486s, it looks rather generic. It should have had a nice green heatsink.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Are you sure that's a retail heatsink and fan? I didn't even know such a thing existed. Let's just say, compared to the Cyrix 486s, it looks rather generic. It should have had a nice green heatsink.

I do want to clear one possible thing, I do not know for sure the fan is an original Cyrix one..but I do know that there's not really any other good reason why the heatsink fan would be labelled "Cyrix" otherwise?

Someone from Vogons ought to buy it and do some further investigating 😁

Baoran wrote:

I just already have alot of pentium cpus and I have mostly been looking for older ones like 386 and 486 ones.

But this isn't a Pentium, it's a Cyrix 😁
You will want this CPU, you must comply 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It costs 20 euros, would you still buy it?

Tetrium wrote:
I do want to clear one possible thing, I do not know for sure the fan is an original Cyrix one..but I do know that there's not r […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I do want to clear one possible thing, I do not know for sure the fan is an original Cyrix one..but I do know that there's not really any other good reason why the heatsink fan would be labelled "Cyrix" otherwise?

Someone from Vogons ought to buy it and do some further investigating 😁

Baoran wrote:

I just already have alot of pentium cpus and I have mostly been looking for older ones like 386 and 486 ones.

But this isn't a Pentium, it's a Cyrix 😁
You will want this CPU, you must comply 🤣

Reply 12 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spend enough time with hardware from this era you will be able to generally figure out what it is without needing to look up much if anything. The 386 and 486 era procs are smaller and do not need such a large cooler so that would have ruled it out on the spot plus the physical size. Socket 4 pentiums sometimes get passed off as socket 3 though it is noticeably larger. There still might be a cyrix 5x86 or two on eBay for cheap but they are not in good condition.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix 5x86 is expensive? They don't exactly seem to be rare.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always thought cyrix cpus were inferior to their intel counterparts when it comes to speed and compatibility. I remember Phil testing cyrix 486 in some of his videos.

Reply 15 of 15, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I always thought cyrix cpus were inferior to their intel counterparts when it comes to speed and compatibility. I remember Phil testing cyrix 486 in some of his videos.

The cyrx 586 is the fastest thing you can get for socket 3. They come in 100, 120 and 133MHz flavours. At 133MHz with enhancements enabled the cy5x86 is faster then a POD83 in everything, including GLquake. The fastest chip would be the IBM branded 133MHz (66x2) 586 - blue heatsink - the 66MHz fsb really speeds up 486 rigs, but only a few select motherboards have been known to support it, like the Biostar MB8433-UUD and the Lucky Tech LS486E