VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive never set up scsi card ever ive only set up sata or ide raids, with that said here is the exact card I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIIG-UW-PCI-SCSI-Cont … P-/302284976897 and ill be pairing it with a quantum atlas 10k II.

I cant find much info on this card at all or a driver.

During windows 98FE install is there a key I have to hit to install the driver from a floppy like in windows xp?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found its manual and it has instructions for windows 98/ME
Found its driver. This card has two versions and they use different chips and drivers.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2017-06-14, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry i postponed this project for the time being, ill dive into it soon and post back here.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 4 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kiwa wrote:

That cards looks like it has it's own bios, so any disk should appear as a normal disk iirc.

Hard disks only, possibly in DOS only. Anything else will need drivers. Usually you can also only boot from SCSI when no IDE drives are present.

Also, the card's BIOS may need to be enabled for that to work.

Personally, I'd simply have grabbed a period-correct Adaptec card, because then you know for sure Win98 includes drivers...

Reply 5 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

90% chance its just a re-badged adaptec anyway. $5 says its really a adaptec 2940

https://dirhyllykt.files.wordpress.com/2013/0 … _15253_scsi.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wonder how loud your Atlas is. I would not consider it at all. Last 68pin SCSI we bought for the school was a 74gb Cheetah that is a wonderfully silent drive, and at another workplace we bought some 80pin Hitachis that were also very good. Still have all these drives. Can't say the same kind words about WD Raptor...

Reply 7 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its all relative. I've lived with "loud" computers for 20 years. It is at the point, if my computer isn't on and humming, I cant sleep.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Its all relative. I've lived with "loud" computers for 20 years. It is at the point, if my computer isn't on and humming, I cant sleep.

A hum is a hum and than there's hard disk whine 😀