VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked the HW revision on my installed DFE-530TX+es, and they are HW Rev. D2 as well. I am attaching the D-Link driver package that I use. I downloaded this directly from D-Link in Sept. 2004. So if these drivers don't work, then as MERCURY127 suggested, you probably have a hardware failure of some sort.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Filename
    dfe530TX+_driver_5397.zip
    File size
    521.92 KiB
    Downloads
    117 downloads
    File comment
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ Drivers Downloaded Sept. 2004
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still just times out in DOS. Windows keeps reinstalling the old driver, too, which really pisses me off. Is there anyway to remove drivers from the driver database in Win95? Also, the only thing non-hardware related I can think of now is the DHCP reservation thing Phil talked about in his video. I have no idea how to do this, and when I called my ISP about it they acting like I was crazy. I don't see anywhere to set a reservation in my router settings at all.

Reply 22 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you run the DIAG.EXE program from this driver set (as Keropi suggested previously)? Note that there are some instructions in the README.TXT file in the \DIAG folder. It might be necessary to change some of the configuration parameters to get the card to work.

Also, you mentioned having issues with the CMOS in your machine previously. Did you get those resolved?

Reply 23 of 40, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you go back to DOS mTCP will let you set static IP addresses .. DHCP is not required. Just pick something on your network that you know isn't in use ... you generally have 200+ addresses to choose from.

As for getting the right packet driver settings ... you either set the card up using software (a setup utility) or via jumpers. Sometimes you can set things such as the hardware IRQ from the packet driver command line. At worst case if you set the packet driver parameters wrong, unload it (if possible) or reboot and try again.

DOS networking shouldn't be this hard. I suspect you have a bad card or the wrong drivers.

Reply 24 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As you can see from the photos, the DIAG.EXE program is how the card's configuration is examined, changed and tested (no jumpers on this card). I am actually running a Win98 SE boot disk in order to run the DIAG.EXE program on the hard drive.

Attachments

• 17061703.JPG
    Filename
    17061703.JPG
    File size
    182.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DFE-530TX+ DIAG.EXE Run Diagnostics
    File license
  • 17061702.JPG
    Filename
    17061702.JPG
    File size
    168.22 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DFE-530TX+ DIAG.EXE Current Configuration
    File license
  • 17061701.JPG
    Filename
    17061701.JPG
    File size
    156.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DFE-530TX+ DIAG.EXE Main Menu
    File license

Reply 25 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How would I manually set static IPs with mTCP? I thought it only did auto configuring. Btw, I filmed something really quick to show my process in DOS and if you can identify what I may be doing wrong. With the Mtcp configuration file, I changed my IRC names and did nothing else to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WnHt_OVgk

Reply 26 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

As you can see from the photos, the DIAG.EXE program is how the card's configuration is examined, changed and tested (no jumpers on this card). I am actually running a Win98 SE boot disk in order to run the DIAG.EXE program on the hard drive.

Thing is, I can't get to that menu. After getting past the intro it gives an error and tells me to press a key to exit.

Reply 27 of 40, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Debugging instructions and how to use static addressing are in the mTCP PDF documentation.

The I/O address must be correct because you are getting a reasonable looking MAC address. I'm not sure how PCI IRQs work, but 0xFF is suspicious, especially for a DOS value. If that value is wrong you will be able to send, but not receive packets. I would concentrate on the hardware IRQ number.

Reply 30 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:

Get ping working first. If ping doesn't work then IRCjr sure won't work either.

Your card is not showing packets to the packet driver. That's a cabling or IRQ problem.

"ping 192.168.1.1

Timeout waiting for ARP response."

Is there such a thing as a program that'll allow me to change IRQ settings, etc. in DOS instead of the BIOS. I did order another CMOS chip, but it hasn't come yet.

Reply 32 of 40, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

Is there anyway to remove drivers from the driver database in Win95?

delete two files *idx.dat AND all *.pnf in windir\inf and subfolders.

Reply 33 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mbbrutman wrote:

Your card is not showing packets to the packet driver. That's a cabling or IRQ problem.

I think that's what akula65 is trying to troubleshoot first, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves getting mTCP working when we aren't even sure the cards setup right on the hardware level.

akula65 wrote:

<br abp="794">Thing is, I can't get to that menu. After getting past the intro it gives an error and tells me to press a key to exit.

Is that using the new drivers akula65 sent you? Because that isn't a good sign. Diag is talking to the card on the lowest of levels.
You seem fairly new to all this (which is fine! always great to have someone else bringing old PC's back to life) but for ease of troubleshooting d you have any other newer PC's you can put the card in? Newer OS's are better with drivers and Newere hardware is better at handling IRQ's etc so it's a quick and easy way to find out if the card actually works, You may even be able to note down the resource settings and try them on your retro rig

Reply 34 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there such a thing as a program that'll allow me to change IRQ settings, etc. in DOS instead of the BIOS.

Unfortunately, no. DOS relies on the BIOS to provide accurate information about IRQs, I/O addresses, etc. As chinny22 points out, newer OSes are better at resource management precisely because they are not so tightly coupled to the BIOS. Newer OSes take information reported by the BIOS "under advisement," but they can and do make resource reassignments, at least for hardware that does not use jumpers for configuration.

I did order another CMOS chip, but it hasn't come yet.

So it might be a good idea to hold off until you see how the new CMOS chip pans out. If the CMOS works properly, I suspect that the DIAG.EXE program will work as well.
I would second chinny22's suggestion to test the DFE-530TX+ in another (known-to-be-working) machine if possible in the meantime.

Reply 35 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I guess I'll wait until then. I'll update the thread whenever I get the chip and it hopefully works because the last one I bought didn't. Also, this is actually the only working desktop PC I have. I've got a Core 2 Duo desktop build as well, but it's missing RAM and a hard drive. The rest of my computers are all laptops.

Reply 36 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

You seem fairly new to all this.

Yeah, I am. I used to be exclusively a DOSBox guy until now where I much prefer original hardware ever since getting to use it. I've actually had this computer for probably around 14 years now because my uncle gave it to me when I was little, but I couldn't get it working again until about a year ago. It was the second computer I ever had, and my first PC I don't remember much about, but it basically looked like an IBM 5150 with the case design. It was either a real IBM or some kind of clone with an orange phosphor monochrome display that I remember auto-booting to X-Tree and not knowing how to use because I was probably 2-3 years old. To this day, I'm still pissed off that my parents threw it away because it was "worthless junk." Thank god I still have this PC here, though.

Reply 37 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uh-oh, sounds like you've been bitten by the hardware bug, You'll start building systems for different era's next, then before you know it you'll have more computers then hours in the day 😉
Pretty cool you have history with this PC. a lot of people here pay small fortune to recreate computers from their childhood. While I've held onto most of My old computers, I threw out probably over 12 PC's ranging from a 286 to P3 500's ONE YEAR before I got back into old PC's I'd collected over the years, and that was ALL MY FAULT! at least you can blame your parents 😜
You'll have to post up pics once your back on track again

Reply 38 of 40, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How would I manually set static IPs with mTCP? [...]

It is better to have your router reserve and assign a static IP to a specific MAC ADDRESS (each nic has it's own mac address)
You still need to somehow run DIAG.EXE to assign resources or find a way to do that in another system or something. You won't get anywhere without the card properly working, the CMOS is irrelevant (unless your system is damaged)

Did you ever got the card working under windows?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 39 of 40, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the Dallas DS1287A I got today also doesn't work. The clock doesn't even move at all like my other DS1287A+ did when you put in the time... The computer originally didn't have a Dallas branded chip, but the board just says in the slot "DS1287A." Does it really matter?