VOGONS

Best MIDI for the price?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Spikey: I'd love something along the lines of a Sound Canvas. It's kinda the definitive GM/GS sound. I've also explored soundfonts, and have yet to find an easily available Sound Canvas font that doesn't completely screw up something. I've seen decently cheap little 55ST units, like that one... but what of the sound? I've only heard them be kinda... bashed on. I'm really hoping to pay less than 75$, which is seemingly hard to do.

I really haven't seen a Yamaha board in the states. Even when I went to a store that carried a ton of old ISA/PCI expansion cards, I saw Creative Labs cards, and the cheap cards that were thrown into OEM computers.

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 22 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
atariangamer wrote:

@Spikey: I'd love something along the lines of a Sound Canvas. It's kinda the definitive GM/GS sound. I've also explored soundfonts, and have yet to find an easily available Sound Canvas font that doesn't completely screw up something. I've seen decently cheap little 55ST units, like that one... but what of the sound? I've only heard them be kinda... bashed on. I'm really hoping to pay less than 75$, which is seemingly hard to do.

I really haven't seen a Yamaha board in the states. Even when I went to a store that carried a ton of old ISA/PCI expansion cards, I saw Creative Labs cards, and the cheap cards that were thrown into OEM computers.

I'm curious about your feedback on any of the soundfonts you've tried. Any thoughts on helping Deemster by providing feedback for his soundfont?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 26, by atariangamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm curious about your feedback on any of the soundfonts you've tried. Any thoughts on helping Deemster by providing feedback for his soundfont?

Doom has always been my go to test. "The Demons from Adrian's Pen" is a great example of what sets the SC55 apart from others. The swoop on the background synth, the slight echo on the 'whistle' throughout, and the drum samples being very sharp and present. Mix in any song that uses the two electric guitar patches (Overdriven/Distorted) to determine whether they have the correct sustain, tuning, and style. Another good test is any of Descent's music, with it's complicated electronic drum kit and deep bass sounds. The SC55 has a pretty nice 808-alike kit.

I haven't actually heard/seen Deemster's sf... any links?

I work on computers all day, just to come home and play with computers all night.

Reply 24 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
atariangamer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Doom has always been my go to test. "The Demons from Adrian's Pen" is a great example of what sets the SC55 apart from others. The swoop on the background synth, the slight echo on the 'whistle' throughout, and the drum samples being very sharp and present. Mix in any song that uses the two electric guitar patches (Overdriven/Distorted) to determine whether they have the correct sustain, tuning, and style. Another good test is any of Descent's music, with it's complicated electronic drum kit and deep bass sounds. The SC55 has a pretty nice 808-alike kit.

I haven't actually heard/seen Deemster's sf... any links?

I generally test with Sierra games.

Anyway, here's Deemster's stuff:
Soundfonts that mimic old hardware (SC-55, DX50XG, AWE64 Gold)
Release: Wave Blaster soundfont

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 26, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really depends where you are in the world, but I got my NS5R off yahoo auctions for 5,000yen.
Due to the huge amount of samples in this thing (over 1000 patches), there is some noise due to the compression.
But, it is quite the all-arounder.

It's Native GM, 05R/W GM modes are great.
GS mode is actually fully SC-88 compatible (quite rare for non-Roland modules)
XG mode is also a solid performer
MT-32 maps are there and sound on par with the real SC units
Waveblaster header for expansion

Also has a LOT of weird options to play with. You can turn Effect follow on and off, and this makes some games like Descent sound amazing, while other games sound terrible. You can even tell the system to ignore GS/XG reset messages if you want to play around with different instruments. You can even mix Korg/Roland/Yamaha instrument banks all at the same time. For example, Korg guitars with Yamaha drums and Roland everything else.

Probably a lot more pricey outside of Japan though...

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 26 of 26, by 1ce2go

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Phreeze wrote:

in Europe the yamaha cards are expensive imho. better of with some sb16 with a midi-extension and a dreamblaster Midi-board. I think it's the cheapest. You could argue about the hanging note bug, but at least nearly every game is compatible 😀

They are dirt cheap in Ukraine...mind you, this place is a treasure trove of retro hardware, anything from 286's to old commodore 64's floating around here. about $3 for a yamaha card.