VOGONS

PII slot 1 motherboard and DOS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who plays quake in software-mode. For me quake has to be played in win9x with ogl-support and higher resolutions.
There are hundreds of dos-games that run very well on a faster dx2/66, but there are only a view later dos-games
where the 486/dx2-66 is too slow.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 21 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
dr.zeissler wrote:

Who plays quake in software-mode. For me quake has to be played in win9x with ogl-support and higher resolutions.
There are hundreds of dos-games that run very well on a faster dx2/66, but there are only a view later dos-games
where the 486/dx2-66 is too slow.

But if your putting together a late Dos system why cut your self short? Not like old parts aren't cheep.

Reply 22 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:
If you are looking for a DOS-Gaming-Machine, then go for a 486. If you are looking for a Hybrid-Gaming-Machine then go for a PII […]
Show full quote

If you are looking for a DOS-Gaming-Machine, then go for a 486.
If you are looking for a Hybrid-Gaming-Machine then go for a PII/3DFX.

The PII-333 Models SL2KA (dA0) and SL2QF (dA0) are the best.
They draw much less power then the previous ones (233-300), especially when clocked down to 133/166/200/233/266/300.
My PII-333 SL2KA works passiv cooled in my system. I clocked it down to 233 because that's OK for some speed sensitive dos-games
that produce the runtime200 tp-bug, but also fast enough to power a voodoo1 card very well for the early 3d-games.

it's the most perfect machine for me.

I used an AWE64Gold in it, which is a fantastic card, but changed over to the audician32 with dreamblaster upgrade. I love to run
older dosgames and demoscenedemos with real stereo-sb-pro sound. beside that the audician32 has a real opl3 which sound 100%
correct in the old dos-games. I also added a GUS-ACE in this setup. I think it's a must have for demoscene-demos and lots of supported
games like pinball fantasies. Do not get me wrong, the AWE64gold is very good, but the audician32 is the better card in my opinion.

btw. I used a voodoo3-3000 agp before and it's a great card. very good image-quality. excellent performance. But I changed it to
a matrox g200 which has a slighty better image quality and extremly good colors and by far better win3x drivers then the voodoo3.

perhaps I will check out another AGP card soon, but currently the g200 is my most preferred one.
(I have tested a riva128,g400, tnt/tnt2, voodoo3)

I prefer a voodoo1-card over a voodoo2-card because I like that real retro-feeling 😀

perhaps you could give me an advice, what AGP-card I should checkout next?
Doc

Opinions differ. I feel that my MMX DOS slowdown machine is capable of pretty much all performance envelopes from 386SX-25 to P120. Why would I need a 486? For Windows 98 gaming and high performance DOS, I have my socket A machine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ If you're running demoscene stuff, the "DOS era" lasted right up until ~2000 and software rendering was the order of the day. There are plenty of DOS prods that thrive on a decent PII with 128MB of SDRAM.

I prefer Quake in software on a fast DOS machine BTW; same with Descent II and other high-end 3D titles from the time. Part of the fun is seeing what the devs accomplished with bare-metal coding and no handholds.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Demotrend n.don't remember.. Sunflowerish.. But runned smooth even in my Pentium200mmx with cool fx! This made me like it.. Grea […]
Show full quote

Demotrend n.don't remember..
Sunflowerish..
But runned smooth even in my Pentium200mmx with cool fx!
This made me like it..
Great code!

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 26 of 29, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Who plays quake in software-mode.

I do. It looks the best this way.
GLQuake is missing fullbrights and overbrights, and every sourceport I've checked that fixes these also adds a ton of junk and other "improvements".

Reply 27 of 29, by assa92004

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
m5215tx wrote:
I am looking into possibly building a pure MS-DOS 6.22 system with one of my Slot 1 boards I have. I have never done a pure DOS […]
Show full quote

I am looking into possibly building a pure MS-DOS 6.22 system with one of my Slot 1 boards I have. I have never done a pure DOS Slot 1 Pentium II system so I have a few questions.

Are some/most/all AGP cards fine for the low resolutions that DOS games typically use? I know PCI works great so I assume AGP in DOS will be much better unless there is some issue I don't know about.

Would a PII 233MHz CPU be fine for DOS games from around 1995 to the last ones that were released or would one of the faster PII's be better for supporting that era of DOS games?

With the use of the faster PII CPU's would using an ISA sound card have problems? I have the following ISA card options: AWE64, SB16 CT1740 (DSP 4.05).

I just finished a dos machine using a http://www.megalink.com.tw/MB/P6F212.htm motherboard. it comes with 10/100 network, soundblaster and video onboard.
I have tried about 22 games now (ranging in age from about 88 to 1996 inc formula one gp2 quake doom dark forces prince of persia rise of the triads terminal velocity
and descent 1 and 2. sound is find.. network tcpip works fine. I have telnet ftp and simple graphical web www etc.. if you can find one I personally would recommend it. also it runs like about 600 mhz machine there abouts. so modem gaming is no problem. I noticed there are few on aliexpress for about 40 or 50 bucks. which sounds a little rich till you work out that they have built in soundblaster and ethernet that works (ask me how i ll send autoexec bat) and forgot what type of ram it takes but i
have 512 meg on board that F Dos sees quite nicely. (so would also make a good win 95 98 xp machine dual boot).

Reply 28 of 29, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
MERCURY127 wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

I mean Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Doom II are all 32bit-bit, not sure about Carmen Sandiego games and Sim City.

Wolfenstein 3D is 16 bit, it can run on a 286.

But yes, DOS is hard to cover with one system, it was released in 1981 and was relevant quite a few years even after Windows 95 release. There are quite a few old games that won't run on CPUS faster than 200 MHz. And I'm almost 100% sure that there are very old games that will probably not run on 32 bit CPUs (386 and above).

On the other hand, you have newer games (Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Carmageddon) that will struggle hard on anything lower than Pentium MMX and could really benefit a PII.

If 1995 is the target I'd say that PII is just fine, but a "period correct" system would be something like Pentium 166 MHz.

Reply 29 of 29, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a PII system for DOS/late DOS games is fine.

A very large number of games will work fine. Some games will not work, but there isn't a retro computer in existence that can cover everything MS-DOS, so it isn't in bad company