Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawrl wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Three early 90s machine with IBM 14" color CRTs of the VGA variety is the best I've seen in my area recently and because I'm rur […]
Show full quote
i486_inside wrote:

That's a really nice Craigslist score. No one ever really sells anything good on craigslist in my area, The only old computer related thing I have gotten from Craigslist was few years ago I paid I think it was $40 to get Two DTK Computer Pentium 166Mhz Machines, A Pionex 333mhz PII Machine, A Gateway PII 450mhz Machine, and a Gateway micro ATX K6 Machine. Before that I got a pretty good Atari lot for $50, I got a 7800, a 2600, an 800XL, and like 50 games, but really in the last few years there hasn't been much, I guess I should just be glad that I live in East Central Indiana where the cost of living is pretty low and I have the disposable cash to buy eBay parts if I really want them.

Three early 90s machine with IBM 14" color CRTs of the VGA variety is the best I've seen in my area recently and because I'm rural there still over an hour away as my Craigslist covers a great distance. A 486, an unidentified 96ish looking machine, a bottom line P3 700. And the asshat wants 100 USD for them. I offered him 25 and he claimed that I was attempting to rip him off. There was also some retard selling a early Pentium Toshiva Satellite for 125 (which in his defense, might have been worth $75 with the amount of accessory he had so I guess he wasn't THAT far off) and he wouldn't budge even 25 on it claiming he was already selling it for half it's value. Then I can remember the guy selling all the early tomb raider games for around $25 a piece.

Please don't even get me started on retro game consoles. Even the Facebook buy sell groups in my rural area have at least a dozen professional scalpers... I mean "resellers" and every one on Craigslist goes to there deep pockets before I get a chance. The good news is the buy sell groups are still viable for vintage PC parts (and a nearly unlimited supply of low-min end CRTs). I actually got my eMac and iMac off one.

The only thing protecting our hobby from having the same thing that happened with retro consoles is that the average human is far too sfupid, impatient, or busy to learn how to use this vintage equipment. I'm 17, and I don't know anyone else from my generation who can tell me what as ISA slot is *sad face*

How far downstate are you? If you ever get up into the city, hit me up.
I volunteer at a recycling center, and I've been saving anything decent and trying to set up a section of our shop to sell old equipment. I'll hook you up.

I'm about 200 miles south of Springfield unfortunately.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm about 200 miles south of Springfield unfortunately.

Would that be Shelbyville? 😁

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 35, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not wanting to be to specific publicly my closest major city is Carbondale.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 25 of 35, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added more to first post.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 27 of 35, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

That Panasonic is one of the early rugged laptops. Those were built to military standards for endurance IIRC. I remember there was one model I read about that was supposed to be able to withstand being ran over by a car or something.

Reply 28 of 35, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

That Panasonic is one of the early rugged laptops. Those were built to military standards for endurance IIRC. I remember there was one model I read about that was supposed to be able to withstand being ran over by a car or something.

It survived battery leakage. Seems like the battery compartment is pretty separated, although it has the hard drive in there too. I forgot to mention that it's the Mk I 486 model. Pretty neat, good LCD, CD-ROM and stereo audio on a 486 laptop.

Reply 29 of 35, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

It survived battery leakage. Seems like the battery compartment is pretty separated, although it has the hard drive in there too. I forgot to mention that it's the Mk I 486 model. Pretty neat, good LCD, CD-ROM and stereo audio on a 486 laptop.

I have to ask, how are you finding this stuff on Craigslist? Obviously unlikely in the 'free' section, but I've seen nothing even remotely close to the newest vintage of stuff in this thread

Reply 30 of 35, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

So, since it's a non Dell and you're well known for not using non Dell what are you going to do with it?

Reply 31 of 35, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

So, since it's a non Dell and you're well known for not using non Dell what are you going to do with it?

Keeping it. Not sure i'll be able to find a 486 dell laptop.

Reply 32 of 35, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JTD121 wrote:

I have to ask, how are you finding this stuff on Craigslist? Obviously unlikely in the 'free' section, but I've seen nothing even remotely close to the newest vintage of stuff in this thread

Really? Free section is where I got a free C64 and 2 disk box holders full of C64 disks. Required emailing the seller and driving to pick it up. Left it outside for me. Sometimes you just have to be persistent and look around.

Reply 33 of 35, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JTD121 wrote:

It's all been from one seller. It was the entire collection of one or two people.

Reply 34 of 35, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
95DosBox wrote:
JTD121 wrote:

Really? Free section is where I got a free C64 and 2 disk box holders full of C64 disks. Required emailing the seller and driving to pick it up. Left it outside for me. Sometimes you just have to be persistent and look around.

Hm....I've been sort of trolling the free area, but not using search terms because CL search seems to suck most of the time. I guess I'll have another thing to look out for!

Reply 35 of 35, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JTD121 wrote:
95DosBox wrote:
JTD121 wrote:

Hm....I've been sort of trolling the free area, but not using search terms because CL search seems to suck most of the time. I guess I'll have another thing to look out for!

It was about 7 years ago. But funny thing was someone else contacted the seller first and I guess my email came second but he decided to give it to me. He also had a Vic-20 at his father's house but I never followed up to see if he was going to get rid of that too.
😊