VOGONS

First post, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My GeForce 2 MX200's fan crapped out long ago, and I've since lost both the fan and the screws (stupid of me, yes, but I was a kid who didn't know I'd be into retro hardware).

I know, I know, you can get it and even the MX400 for relatively cheaply on eBay, but I specifically want to fix this one up for sentimental reasons, since it was my first ever 3D card.

Now, I know it's a 40mm fan with a 2-pin connector, but I'm not sure what kind, 5V or 12V. Also, is there more than one 2-pin connector type/size? And, since I know the brand is good quality, do you think the Noctua A-series would be a good option?

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A pic of the card will help.
The fan was probably 12v. Btw, you probably can mount a fan on your card that's connected to your PSU directly (by molex of by use of a fan adapter).
You could even rig another heatsink on there, but a pic of the card will help. The MX2 probably doesn't need extensive cooling anyway, so I think you could get away with pretty much any cooling solution 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of MX200's only had heatsinks, and later ones didn't even have that! Popular opinion is that the fan wasn't really needed. However keeping hardware nice and cool is never a bad thing!
As long as you have decent air flow You can probably get away without a fan on the card itself, if something generic doesn't fit

Reply 3 of 10, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

A pic of the card will help.
The fan was probably 12v. Btw, you probably can mount a fan on your card that's connected to your PSU directly (by molex of by use of a fan adapter).
You could even rig another heatsink on there, but a pic of the card will help. The MX2 probably doesn't need extensive cooling anyway, so I think you could get away with pretty much any cooling solution 😜

Sorry about that. Here it is:
wnWnbV0.jpg

I'd rather not connect it to the PSU directly (the one I'm using has few enough molex connectors going round as it stands), but I'll keep the sggestion in mind.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 4 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Measure diagonally across the heatsink then get on eBay for a fan of that size in mm, the fan header is either 5v or 12v but it won't matter as pretty much every fan you can get will run just fine at 5v. Just compare with the old fan as to where the positive and negative pins are then pull the plastic header off leaving the two pins exposed then press the connector of the new fan onto that. Amazing how people these days do not know this yet it was pretty common in the late 90s to mid 2000s to bodge budget hardware this way to keep things going.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 10, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Measure diagonally across the heatsink then get on eBay for a fan of that size in mm, the fan header is either 5v or 12v but it won't matter as pretty much every fan you can get will run just fine at 5v. Just compare with the old fan as to where the positive and negative pins are then pull the plastic header off leaving the two pins exposed then press the connector of the new fan onto that. Amazing how people these days do not know this yet it was pretty common in the late 90s to mid 2000s to bodge budget hardware this way to keep things going.

Dumb question, but I have this one TNT2 card where the plastic header literally will not pull off. Is there a trick to get it off? The annoying thing is that there is a capacitor that's in front of the header.

Reply 6 of 10, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Seems like a standard vga cooler can't see if it has mounting holes or thermal adhesive was used. I suggest also removing the the heatsink and replacing the thermal pas te. If it's glued just gently heat the heatsink and gently twist it.

Usually a fan with molex is pass through fm design so you won't lose a molex connector. If the card has onboaRd power just cut the cables and connect them through some shrink wraps (I do this alot)

Reply 7 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Dumb question, but I have this one TNT2 card where the plastic header literally will not pull off. Is there a trick to get it off? The annoying thing is that there is a capacitor that's in front of the header.

The little white plastic portion of the header with a little effort lifts right up off leaving the pins still in place. A very small flat tip screw driver or fine blade will get the job done though I have done it with pliers before.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 10, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Richo wrote:

Seems like a standard vga cooler can't see if it has mounting holes or thermal adhesive was used. I suggest also removing the the heatsink and replacing the thermal pas te. If it's glued just gently heat the heatsink and gently twist it.

Usually a fan with molex is pass through fm design so you won't lose a molex connector. If the card has onboaRd power just cut the cables and connect them through some shrink wraps (I do this alot)

I'll look into the molex suggestion a bit more, then. Thanks!

Yeah, the four circles in the corner of the heatsink are screw-holes. I definitely know there was a fan on there before. And besides, nothing wrong with getting a little fancy with a hobby, right? 😀