VOGONS

First post, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a simple question as I have not personally tested this for enough years to see for myself.

Basically-

Question;
Does running my CPU at 100% use 24/7 regardless of temperatures shorten its life span?

Context;
There is not much factual information online, so I want to know what you guys know from experience and knowlege.
I have a system I have designated as my 3D animation workstation, and it has my favorite CPU to power it, specifications are below. I very much like this system and I'm very concerned about keeping it in perfect condition. And I plan on doing a lot of long renders over several days at a time. This system doesn't exceed 85 degrees fahrenheit.

Fun little story behind the beauty, I found it in a thrift store mindlessly priced for $5 with another one similarly spec'd by EMachines. I couldn't resist such a steal

Image of said machine, the roof/door is taken off at the moment
https://www.mediafire.com/view/2802cqfubycv8y … 21185617585.jpg

Specifications;

CPU: Intel celeron 566Mhz coppermine 128KB cache
RAM: 256MB DDR PC133 RAM
Motherboard: Custom Biostar board, which is a socket 370 and Slot 1 hybrid
HDD: 10GB Seagate drive (thankfully when they were still reliable)
GPU: Intel 82810 32MB video chip
Usual display resolutions; 640x480 or 800x600

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM
1MB Trident 3D capable GPU
250GB Western Digital IDE drive
OS(s): Windows 98/Windows 2000 SP1

Reply 1 of 22, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:

Question;
Does running my CPU at 100% use 24/7 regardless of temperatures shorten its life span?

electronic devices lifespan in general related with temperature only. what REAL temp ur cpu?
in general, temp grow on 10-15 C short lifespan by 2-3 times. ie, device with constant temp 50 C will work by 10 times less, and with 90 C - by 100 times less, than with 20 C... theoretically. 🤣
in real life, constant temp 50 C is better, than often jumps bw 20-50-90...

Reply 2 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should operate your CPU at its optimal temperature so it isn't getting too cold or too hot. I believe that if lets say your cooler is at 40C at the contact point but it can only transfer the heat so fast that the CPU is at 65C that is thermally shocking it to some degree.
But I my self have never seen a dead processor whos death was not caused by bad power supply, overclocking or extreme temperatures (over 90C prolonged period, and usually with graphics chips its the interconnects that suffer not the silicon chip it self (solder balls, grooves)). As Mercury said above, 50C should be the sweet spot for 100% workload.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 22, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would have thought, 100% load is what the CPU is designed to be doing (no doubt the heat dissapation of the CPU would be calculated by testing at full load, over a period time...providing you're not doing anything stupid like OCing..)... As others have mentioned, frequent cooling and heating will fatigue the components more so them running at constant temp..be it high or low?

OC'ing == Not Designed to be doing that => fuck knows whats going on with the components at a physical level.

Reply 4 of 22, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your input guys, hopefully others can stuble onto this that are asking the same question.

MERCURY127 wrote:

what REAL temp ur cpu?

Apparently farenheit isn't a real measurement of temperature.

I mentioned an average and maximum CPU temperature of 85 degrees fanrenheit.

85 degrees farenheit translates to a very healthy 29C.

I would keep things at 65F (18.33C) but my house's design and air conditioning is insufficient.

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM

Reply 5 of 22, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
0101000000110101 wrote:

Apparently farenheit isn't a real measurement of temperature.

no it isn't, the only country still actively using fahrenheit is the US and we all know how retarded their system is. The metric system is the official system in the world and everything is being adapted to it, the only problem is people also need to start using it properly. Even hardware companies still use old fashioned systems like CFM (proper term is m3/h) and mmH2O (proper term is kPa), dunno why companies still refuse to adapt its easier to use and when using them they get illusionary higher numbers which they may advertise with. To most people who dont understand it 45,6 Pa is more then 4,65 mmH2O same goes for airflow 75 CFM is less then 127,43 m3/h atleast it looks more and people will relate easier to it.

I would keep things at 65F (18.33C) but my house's design and air conditioning is insufficient.

30C is the best temperature to have in your case, your CPU and GPU may be 40 degrees but anything less then 30C and your HD's will start acting funny since they operate best around 30C

Reply 6 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

no it isn't, the only country still actively using fahrenheit is the US and we all know how retarded their system is. The metric system is the official system in the world and everything is being adapted to it, the only problem is people also need to start using it properly. Even hardware companies still use old fashioned systems like CFM (proper term is m3/h) and mmH2O (proper term is kPa), dunno why companies still refuse to adapt its easier to use and when using them they get illusionary higher numbers which they may advertise with. To most people who dont understand it 45,6 Pa is more then 4,65 mmH2O same goes for airflow 75 CFM is less then 127,43 m3/h atleast it looks more and people will relate easier to it.

I think its as much as what people are used to as anything else.
It's still very common in Australia at least to advertise screen size in inches, despite going over to metric in the 60's
Or maybe it's because a lot of the English language is written with the US market in mind, causing a slight defacto in standards

UK still uses Imperial measurments for distance, but metric for everything else, anywhere else not switched to metric?

..bit of a derail I know but OP's question is well answered so thought not much harm 😉

Reply 7 of 22, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:

i talk not about F or C 🤣 i talk about real temp of CPU... real mean measured external device, so as thermopair, placed under cpu cooler...
29 C with environment 18 C - is OK, if this REAL temp cpu under 100% load. but its software monitoring (from BIOS), true? then this value can be very far to reality... but even if monitoring lies and real temp about 50 C - here is no cause for concern.
but remember, that AT cases usually have very poor ventilation. open case can help, but not much...

Reply 8 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are more likely to have issues with the rest of the system long before the cpu decides to fail, just keep the temps in check and keep an eye for rot caps in the usual places. There are some procs that have been running almost non stop for decades.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 22, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS's temperature monitoring system is accurate, as due to a usual lack of exra cash to spend, I have to rely on finger touch to determine the accuracy of a temperature monitor.

Under full load for 20 minutes, due to sufficient cooling and low power drawing, the CPU heatsink temperature is mostly lower than the room it resides in, if not equal.

The power supply yields identical results, and barely generates heat ever.

The HDD seems to be the only device over the temperature of the rest of the system, averaging 32C.

Also, the image may make the system appear to be AT styled, but it is in fact ATX.

I appreciate you guys.

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM

Reply 10 of 22, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:

the CPU heatsink temperature is mostly lower than the room it resides in, if not equal.

This is impossible by physical laws. Temp of cooler always higher, than environment. And temp of CPU heatsink higher, then cooler. And temp of die higher, than heatsink.

Reply 11 of 22, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
0101000000110101 wrote:

The BIOS's temperature monitoring system is accurate, as due to a usual lack of exra cash to spend, I have to rely on finger touch to determine the accuracy of a temperature monitor.

The human perceptive system is not exactly difficult to fool, so "finger touch" will probably be rather inaccurate and inconsistent, as it depends on your body (parts') temperature, mindset, the environment temperature, any air drafts, how tired you are, etc.

You'll need to use a temperature probe or just simply a thermometer (electronic or mercury) to get somewhat accurate readings...

Reply 12 of 22, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT, but I remember people complaining about a feature of newer Windows versions that causes the HD to constantly churn even when the computer is idle. Prefetching I think it was.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally if the heat transfer is good and you can hold your finger firmly on the heatsink near the base for a longer time period than it is good to go.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 14 of 22, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So refrigerators are impossible by physical laws.

ok.

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM

Reply 15 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
0101000000110101 wrote:

ok.

Pentium 1 HSFs are usually air-cooled, for which said is indeed not possible, so MERCURY127's remark is very valid in this context.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2017-06-21, 20:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 22, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:
Specifications; […]
Show full quote

Specifications;

Not sure where you guys got a pentium 1 confused into the mix. 😒
I don't see how this is impossible with the above and below context..

My CELERON, is cooled by a slightly overkill FAN intended for Tualatin Pentium iiis.

Considering that this celeron was normally shipped in passive setups, it is no surprise that temperatures are really low compared to the rest of the room.

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM

Reply 17 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
0101000000110101 wrote:
Not sure where you guys got a pentium 1 confused into the mix. :/ I don't see how this is impossible with the above and below co […]
Show full quote
0101000000110101 wrote:
Specifications; […]
Show full quote

Specifications;

Not sure where you guys got a pentium 1 confused into the mix. 😒
I don't see how this is impossible with the above and below context..

My CELERON, is cooled by a slightly overkill FAN intended for Tualatin Pentium iiis.

Considering that this celeron was normally shipped in passive setups, it is no surprise that temperatures are really low compared to the rest of the room.

Err, my bad 😊
I mixed up your other thread about the s5 board with this one 😵

But then again, Celeron HSFs were also shipped with air cooling, so the same thing goes. With standard air cooling, it is physically impossible for the heatsink to remain a lower temperature compared to the surrounding air temps. These CPU HSFs were not refrigerators 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 22, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:

ok.

You have obviously no idea how a refrigerator or a heatsink work.

Here is a 4 minute video explaining how a refrigerator works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5wQoA15OnQ

A CPU heatsink simply transfers heat from the CPU and than dissipates it to the air and for that to work it needs the surrounding medium to be colder than the heatsink. therefore it is physically impossible for a passive heatsink to be colder than ambient. A Fan merely increases the amount of air to dissipate the heat to, it does not make the air colder.

Reply 19 of 22, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was simply pointing out the fact that the inside of a fridge is colder than the surrounding environment.
It is indeed, possible for nearly any object to be colder than the environment which is is in, under the right circumstances. Key words under the right circumstances.
In normal cases heatsinks that are actively assisted by a fan and are usually slightly if not well above ambient temperature. But if the cooling and airflow is done efficectively enough, you can make components cooler than ambient if not equal.

also no i have never computered in my life
am not no how heatsink heat

am learn yesterday

am not no how to fridge, i use cooler since i was tiny girl

am have alienwaer labtob
(That was a joke, I have nothing agaisnt any of you if you use/support Alienware)

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM