VOGONS

Fake cache RAM... on Pentiums?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 27, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you find a compatible stick? I have the same problem with my ATC-1020. My system hangs on ”Verifying DMI Pool Data.......” with floppy led on. I have pulled jumper JP17 to disable onboard tag.

Reply 23 of 27, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if you read the manual, but you can not use the on-board cache and a module at the same time. If you want 512 kb cache, you need a 512 kb cache module. The 256 kb cache module was for versions without on-board cache.

Reply 24 of 27, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Not sure if you read the manual, but you can not use the on-board cache and a module at the same time. If you want 512 kb cache, you need a 512 kb cache module. The 256 kb cache module was for versions without on-board cache.

I might have misunderstood the manual a bit. This is what it says:

"ATC-1020 is built in 256KB or 512KB Sync. Pipeline Burst SRAM on board and provides a COAST slot for further expansion."

"For upgrading you Sync. SRAM from 256KB to 512KB by using COAST Module, you should plug-in the KIT-256 module, then set JP17 to "open" (disable the original TAG on board). You must use KIT-256 for upgrading your system to 512KB Sync. SRAM, please contact your system dealer about its information. It does not need any BIOS value adjustments for upgrading the SRAM size."

I guess the "KIT-256" is a 512KB module and that the motherboard disables the on board cache when it's used? I have a 512KB module on the way so maybe that will work better.

Reply 25 of 27, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zeecor wrote:

Did you find a compatible stick? I have the same problem with my ATC-1020. My system hangs on ”Verifying DMI Pool Data.......” with floppy led on. I have pulled jumper JP17 to disable onboard tag.

I have JP17 closed on my 1020+. 256k "Pipeline burst" COAST for a total of 512k cache. I wonder if the manual is correct.

IMG_8997.JPG
Filename
IMG_8997.JPG
File size
2.7 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_8998.JPG
Filename
IMG_8998.JPG
File size
2.29 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9002.JPG
Filename
IMG_9002.JPG
File size
2.36 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9004.JPG
Filename
IMG_9004.JPG
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 26 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a bit unclear what COAST revision your module has and what COAST revision the mainboard expects.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 27, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried with the jumper on as well but Windows wont boot and BIOS still reports 256k cache. This is the module I have been trying with:

1.jpeg
Filename
1.jpeg
File size
2.09 MiB
Views
File license
3.jpeg
Filename
3.jpeg
File size
2.11 MiB
Views
File license

Edit: The chips on the module appears to be pipeline burst sram but since the module is HP maybe it's not standard?

https://www.idt.com/products/memory-logic/sra … ined-burst-sram