VOGONS

Non-standard form factor PCs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gateway also had a rather interesting all-in-one, that looked like a somewhat thick LCD monitor with a large foot. The foot contained part of the connectors and the power supply, the LCD monitor was installed in an extra-thick housing that held the actual computer, which included floppy and CD-ROM and IIRC 1 or 2 expansion slots.

Going back to the 1980s, Japan had some rather interesting stuff, such various all in ones that included a printer or that gave a more desktop-like user experience, e.g.

Epson PC-286LP
Epson PC-286LS

There's also the whole category of Office Assistant machines, basically chunky desktop PDA's used by secretaries or small businesses that had limited software and an integrated printer.

Reply 21 of 23, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My favorite machines for basic tasks are the HP line of USFF that use a laptop style powersupply, laptop ram, late core2's or newer and 2.5inch optical/ storage bays. The integrated graphics work great for basic web browsing/games, whatever. Super light, portable, amazing connectivity with HDMI, usb of the ying-yang, and just enough cpu/gpu power to be truly enjoyable. Ya swap an SSD in place of a mechanical drive and they just get more fun to use! Also the weight is minuscule.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember when those Compaq all-in-ones were around, they were a total Mac Classic ripoff but looked a lot more useful with a 14" color monitor and at least some x86-ecosystem expandability. I wish they'd put a lift handle on top.

yawetaG wrote:

Going back to the 1980s, Japan had some rather interesting stuff, such various all in ones that included a printer or that gave a more desktop-like user experience, e.g.

Epson PC-286LP
Epson PC-286LS

I really like this style of laptop too, some of them even had ISA slots. I don't know why in hell anyone thought they needed to build in a printer though. If someone had done a 486 or pentium in that format with VGA and ISA I'd be a happy man.

I did have an Atari STacy briefly at one point. Unfortunately it never worked. They were fragile machines.

Atari-stacy-002.jpg
Filename
Atari-stacy-002.jpg
File size
86.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel MDX 430 - another strange looking "PC".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152590727597

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//