VOGONS

Any ATX PSU with 30+A 5V rail?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is weird. Those power supplies have always been great for me. I have never had any issues with them, and they have always been working at their rated wattage.

Whatever, ignore me, I just live in my own little universe of things working fine for me, but nobody else.

Reply 21 of 29, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Ampera wrote:

This is weird. Those power supplies have always been great for me. I have never had any issues with them, and they have always been working at their rated wattage.

Whatever, ignore me, I just live in my own little universe of things working fine for me, but nobody else.

the overclockers post confirms what you are saying, dont get us wrong. The reviewer does confirm that it doesn't operate at its valued wattage which in your case might just be fine as you never needed it before, he also states that PSU does it job in holding stated voltages but the ripples are poor on the contrary (something we usually wont measure). the PSU is a low quality PSU but does it job at low wattage and will likely operate so for many years without problems if not stressed to the point it will start acting up, however it will start showing unstable behaviour at peak requirements.

Reply 22 of 29, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been in an Pentium 3, Athlon A machine, Athlon 64 x2, A4, and an A10 before. It's had a full GTX970 on all molex connectors, with the rest of the SATA connectors full up on a power guzzling A10 CPU. The very same power supply I am intending to put directly into my Pentium Pro machine has been with me for years and has not skipped a single beat. It has very good electrical ratings on all rails, and I have found that it matched all of those without fault.

It has lasted longer than my more expensive cheap power supplies, and I don't see it dying for me any time soon.

Reply 23 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

the overclockers post confirms what you are saying, dont get us wrong. The reviewer does confirm that it doesn't operate at its valued wattage which in your case might just be fine as you never needed it before, he also states that PSU does it job in holding stated voltages but the ripples are poor on the contrary (something we usually wont measure). the PSU is a low quality PSU but does it job at low wattage and will likely operate so for many years without problems if not stressed to the point it will start acting up, however it will start showing unstable behaviour at peak requirements.

In a lot of ways, choosing a PSU is a matter of weighing risks. Some are genuine hazards which should be avoided at all costs, but most have limitations or weaknesses which can be identified and allow us to make informed choices when purchasing and using them. My biggest issue with unknown cheap supplies is that I don't know what risks I'm taking.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 29, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, I have taken the risk from those supplies time and time again, and have had 0 loss from them. I have had more expensive supplies from bigger names fail faster than those supplies.

Another thing to consider is that Logisys is not the OEM For the supplies. They buy up a big stock of OEM supplies and stick their labels on it, so it's possible that the ones I have are genuinely good supplies, and that Logisys's other supplies are just a mixed bag.

Reply 25 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed, identifying who the OEM builder is can be more important than just buying a supply from a "big name". For an example, see OCZ.

Reply 26 of 29, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the exact PSU I've been using.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16817170019

The reviews are very mixed. Perhaps the quality control is mixed, but I was just lucky enough to get a couple of good ones.

Reply 27 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be, that or you've been fortunate thus far.

One other thing that's worthwhile mentioning. The mark of a good design isn't just whether they keep working or fail, but also whether they protect your equipment if they fail.

Reply 28 of 29, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

C
The mark of a good design isn't just whether they keep working or fail, but also whether they protect your equipment if they fail.

Exactly , The Bestec ATX-250-12E would seem like a decent supply based on the fact that it won't noticeably die, but the 5VSB was poorly designed and they also used cheap caps in the unit, and when the caps finally fail it has no over voltage protection so the 5VSB can spike way above 5V and kill the motherboard, yet the power supply would still seems functional to most users that don't have detailed test equipment.

Reply 29 of 29, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had PS fail in the past, none took out any equipment with them.

Had a few Logisys supplies from back when CompGeeks used to sell them. They worked ok so long as you didn't run them at max ratings. Speaking of Geeks I wonder who made their private label Cool Power brand, those supplies were way over rated.

Very hard to find anything new that does over 20A on the 5V rails these days, higher rated designs are just for 12V video cards. That's why I keep the old supplies around for older systems. I kept the old Thermaltake 550W supply from my Xaser III case when I stuck a modern Corsair 750W supply in it. The old supply was built for 5V designs (will use it with a dual Athlon MP board someday).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software