VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title says. I have a few 486 and 386 projects im working on. However I've only acquired 1 IDE controller card. EBay doesn't seem to have too many to choose from. At least not in the price range I was hoping to spend. Does anyone have some suggestions on how I could get a hold of some of these? Nothing fancy just something does what it's supposed to.

Reply 1 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a heap of them for sale on eBay multiple times with no one paying interest and they normally float around $10 to 20 a pop shipped. Search eBay for "ISA card" and start scrounging through.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You think ISA cards are too expensive.. try putting together a VLB system. People want crazy money for simple things like controllers.

Just have to wait and be patient. expand the terms you are searching by.

Don't just go look in the categories as a huge number of listings are put into the completely wrong category.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try "multi I/O'. And holy shit, 20 bucks is expensive for this. Where I live, these cards can often be found for 100-200rub (less than 5 bucks) as they are extremely common.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 8, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can still get brand new XT-IDE cards I believe. Some of the old sound cards had a IDE part of sorts. They where normally manual setup not P & P so a right pain and often only intended for CD drives. But if you have a CD drive it could free up one IDE space on your motherboard.

Last edited by Bobolaf on 2017-06-25, 08:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need any fancy IDE controllers for ISA. Just get a common goldstar or winbond one, and then get an NIC with a ROM socket so you can install the XT-IDE (AT version) BIOS for large drive support.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

You don't need any fancy IDE controllers for ISA. Just get a common goldstar or winbond one, and then get an NIC with a ROM socket so you can install the XT-IDE (AT version) BIOS for large drive support.

This sounds interesting. You have any more info or a link to a guide or something?