VOGONS

First post, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my current quest. I'm attempting to build a retro gaming PC such as the 4-in-1 that philscomputerlab came up with. I thought I would be successful with the MS-5169 v4 with BIOS 3.5. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that not only is the board revision important, it must also have a specific clockgen chip, which mine does not. Explaining the extreme instability I get in Win98SE after installing drivers. So I must find another board for this project. This is proving difficult, as I can't seem to locate an ATX board with 3 ISA slots that will support the K6III+. I need the 3 ISA slots for the 3 soundcards I want to install: an intelligent midi card, a Sound Blaster AWE64, and a Gravis Ultrasound Classic v3.74. I know about the DFI K6XV3+/66 that Phil himself used in a project, but I can't seem to locate one. Any other suggestions.

As a bit of a side question, what about instead of a Super Socket 7 K6III+ build, why not a Slot 1 440BX build with a Via C3 on a slotket? I can easily find Slot 1 boards with the 3 ISA slots I need, and from what I've been reading, the C3 can scale quite well.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 1 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, for example, an Intel SE440BX-2 with a C3 and MS-6905 slocket is something I'm slowly acquiring the parts for. I'm hoping it gives the same smooth performance increments of my P55c MMX with a wider performance envelope. If you want three ISA slots, obviously you will want a different board. The only proviso I know of is to be sure the board you choose supports the Vcore of the C3 chip you purchase as full on VRM slockets are rare and expensive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I don't put all my hopes on a single board and collect multiple boards even if it were for a single project should something go wrong, I had that DFI board at one time then lost it along with everything else to arson (attempt on my life and family) and the board can get picky with the ram slots. It certainly didn't feel like it was a quality board but it was quick and overclocked well, of all places that one could get parts I found it in a dumpster in 2007.

VIA C3 is interesting and want to give that a try if my funds were not dry as the economy is going down the toilet again and unexpected unemployment put a halt to my plans.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 12, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MS-6905 and other slotkets are readily available and not too expensive, and I can find a board like an Asus P2B easily enough. Can even find Via C3 Nehemiah without much trouble. And the cost for all three together is still less than a Super Socket 7 board. I think I'll pursue this path. Still need to acquire a Voodoo3 for graphics. Voodoo5 is a bit out of my price range right now.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 4 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The C3 Nehemiah is okay, but the Ezra chips are better in terms of smooth scaling.

Reply 5 of 12, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, gdjacobs. I had thought the half speed fpu would be a detriment.

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 6 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to install: an intelligent midi card, a Sound Blaster AWE64, and a Gravis Ultrasound Classic v3.74.

It's not practical to have them running 100% of a time and 2 ISA slots will suffice. You can also use ISA riser card.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote:

Interesting, gdjacobs. I had thought the half speed fpu would be a detriment.

Indeed it is, although the objective is less top end performance than it is the ability to speed tune.

Reply 8 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you dont go with the K6-3 plus, but instead go with the regular K6-3 your motherboard selection increases. Alot more boards support the desktop K6-3 compared to the laptop plus model.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 12, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this compatibility list is a pretty good place to start on finding a compatible board, then you can pick your desired features on the ones you can actually locate

http://k6plus.com/compatlist/

Reply 10 of 12, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gdjacobs: You have a point there. I can find Ezra cores even easier.

The Serpent Rider: No, it isn't. But I'm not going to swap out cards every time I want to use a different one. Nor do I have the space or money to build a second rig just to support that sound card.

vetz: True enough. Even the board I was using will support it. But then I lose the ability to change the clock multiplier in software, which is a key feature of the build.

Super_Relay: I have looked over that site, and while it does help, it doesn't give the number of slots for most of the boards, and half of them don't even show form factor.

Thank you all for your input. It's appreciated.

Chris/Van/Sober.

Reply 11 of 12, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BCM VP1541/VP1543 has 3 ISA slots and support K6 plus, is based on the ALi Alladin V

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems