VOGONS

First post, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a motherboard that complains about a BIOS checksum error at startup. Unfortunately, the only floppy drive I have is USB-based.

I was already going to purchase a HxC floppy emulator, but I'd like to know if I need an actual floppy drive to flash the BIOS, or if the HxC will work for that purpose.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 2, by bishopcop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the computer recognises the drive as a normal floppy drive. It works the same way as a normal floppy including the speed at which it operates. I use a gotek with a HxC firmware and had no issues on any of my tested machines (includes 386,486, pentium I, II and III machines).

Reply 2 of 2, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bishopcop wrote:

Yes, the computer recognises the drive as a normal floppy drive. It works the same way as a normal floppy including the speed at which it operates. I use a gotek with a HxC firmware and had no issues on any of my tested machines (includes 386,486, pentium I, II and III machines).

Thanks!

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor