VOGONS

First post, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first post, and I apologize if this is wrong place for it. I'm new here, and new to Retro Computers. I got my 3.5 inch floppy drive in today, plugged it in, and at first, it wasn't finding any disks. So I fiddled around with some floppy related stuff in the BIOS, and now Windows is showing it as a 5.25 inch floppy drive. Thing is, when I'm in DOS, a: won't work, but b: will. And it'll find the floppy disks. I'm not sure if I installed it wrong, or what the heck is going on, but I could really use some help right about now 🙁. The Floppy Drive and Disks do read, perfectly fine, in DOS, when I use b: / b:\dir etc.

System is:
Abit BH6 1.1
Celeron 300A
Matrox G200+
Diamond Impact S90
VIA 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI
Lite-On 48x CD-ROM
ExcelStor Europa 60GB
Sony MPF920-L Floppy Drive

I'd appreciate any help. The end goal is to play '96, '97, '98, '99, and early '00 games once I get my two Voodoo2's in there, but waiting on some other stuff. In the interim I was wanting to update the BIOS, which is partially the reason I'm attempting to tackle this whole Floppy Disk/Drive issue.

Reply 1 of 8, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is working on B:, it sounds like you have either connected the floppy drive to the B-drive portion of a dual floppy cable or you connected the drive with a B-drive single drive cable( which would be a straight cable , an A-drive cable has a twist in the cable_.

Reply 2 of 8, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh no... 😳. Thats gotta be it... crap. Its a straight cable. Ugh, serves me right I guess haha. Thank you.

EDIT: Do you think the swap setting in the BIOS would do anything? Is there anyway I can make this work or do I need to buy a new cable?

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stry8993 wrote:

This is my first post, and I apologize if this is wrong place for it. I'm new here, and new to Retro Computers.

Welcome to the forums. 😀

Moogle! wrote:

Pardon the dumb question, but are you sure you have 1.44MB selected in the BIOS? Usually that is in the first page.

Nah, that's not a dumb question. Usually the most obvious things are the ones we miss to check. 😀
For example, I once tried to make an audio recording but Audacity didn't record anything.
I spent half a night to figure out false settings and driver issues, 'til I realized the audio cable wasn't plugged in. 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Welcome to the forums. :) […]
Show full quote
stry8993 wrote:

This is my first post, and I apologize if this is wrong place for it. I'm new here, and new to Retro Computers.

Welcome to the forums. 😀

Moogle! wrote:

Pardon the dumb question, but are you sure you have 1.44MB selected in the BIOS? Usually that is in the first page.

Nah, that's not a dumb question. Usually the most obvious things are the ones we miss to check. 😀
For example, I once tried to make an audio recording but Audacity didn't record anything.
I spent half a night to figure out false settings and driver issues, 'til I realized the audio cable wasn't plugged in. 😊

I really need to find someone who has experience with BH6 boards. I am way out of my element. I'm normally pretty profecient, but a lot of this stuff plays by delapidated rules, and some of it I just can't duduce on my own. Like I keep trying to update the bios, but.... it never changes. And its got a bios version with adate, that I can't find anywhere else. Its craziness. I'm diving in deep, but I'm loving it. Its good to be back where i once was. Lost in it. But fiddling around with bios stuff, things that I wouldn't know how to fix, scares me. The parts I have weren't exactly cheap.

Thank you for the welcome though. I meant for my intro to be a little less out of desparation haha, but such is life. Its nice to know people are friendly, and willing to be helpful. Likeminded peers 😁.