VOGONS

First post, by relo999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if you could add an external battery pack to motherboards that don't support it. So is there some way to add one to a board that doesn't support it?
(I had ordered a Zida/Tomato board 4DVS but that does't seem to have the headers to support an external battery, which led me to this question)

Reply 2 of 6, by relo999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not that I know of, my other motherboard does has one of those external battery headers but those don't seem to be directly connected to the battery. So I was wondering if it was possible to connect that up, maybe even with some added circuitry to compensate for it's non rechargability if that is even needed.

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 3x NiMH pack with leads soldered onto the terminals for the barrel battery should do the trick.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, whatever you use should definitely be tucked away so they don't leak onto anything if they fail. You can use a 3x NiMH pack for a cordless phone or 3x AA/AAA NiMH cells in a plastic holder. You can use non rechargeable cells in a plastic holder as well, but you will need a diode to prevent current flow into the batteries.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder