First post, by valnar
So some 18 years later, it's inevitable some of our favorite peripherals will start dying.
My original Aureal SQ2500 sound card is acting weird. I already purchased a spare on eBay, but those prices just go up.
About 20% of the time when I boot up, it is fine. The other 80% it's not recognized properly. The drivers don't initialize the sound in DOS or WinXP, and in Windows 98 I get a protection error so it never gets to the desktop (it's a triple boot machine. BX chipset). When it works, all three OS's are fine, as is theaudio.
The new SQ2500 I bought works fine all around in the same machine and slot.
So can audio cards or peripherals like this be repaired? Could it be one of the little capacitors? Any ideas?
If the proper and cost effective answer today is to just buy a replacement on eBay (even at $70), that's fine and all, but there will be a time when that won't be an option anymore.