VOGONS

First post, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

can anybody help trying to work out what integrated graphics my old pc had we bought it back near the end of 1998 it had a windows 98 a Pentium 2 350mhz and if i remember had a 512mb ram and 10gb hdd i remember the graphics was an ati brand as i remember installing the ati drivers

can anybody help

Reply 1 of 11, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help trying to work out what integrated graphics my old pc had we bought it back near the end of 1998 it had a windows 98 a Pentium 2 350mhz and if i remember had a 512mb ram and 10gb hdd i remember the graphics was an ati brand as i remember installing the ati drivers

can anybody help

It could be an ATI Rage Mobility anyway it's hard to discover the specific model

Reply 2 of 11, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More than likely Rage Pro Turbo, that is what my Toshiba Equium 7100s OEM PII desktop has. Was pretty common as a onboard desktop video chip back then.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 11, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

More than likely Rage Pro Turbo, that is what my Toshiba Equium 7100s OEM PII desktop has. Was pretty common as a onboard desktop video chip back then.

thanks i remember running vice city on the pc and was surprised it got like 5fps or something running at 1024x768 but the computer at this time i added 256mb more of ram and the video settings where the default setting wish i had known or thought to change the video to 640x480 and everything to low the game would have been much more playable

Reply 4 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help

Probably though, the system RAM was more like 128MB. 512MB was typically not offered on OEM systems in 98-99, and upgrading to it cost and arm and a leg.

Regarding the graphics chipset, what about Rage IIC? That was around in 1998, and had horrible 3D performance. Tested on a P3-933, it got a whopping 474 in 3dmark99 800x600x16. 😀 And no support for OpenGL. Nice, huh?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:

True.
My Celeron 400 happened to have this GPU onboard. I ended up installing a PCI TNT2 M64 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Likely to be XPERT@WORK

also 512mb ram was not a 1998 thing unless the poor sucker got suckered into all the aggressive moreram=morefaster marketing at the time desperate for anything

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help

Probably though, the system RAM was more like 128MB. 512MB was typically not offered on OEM systems in 98-99, and upgrading to it cost and arm and a leg.

Regarding the graphics chipset, what about Rage IIC? That was around in 1998, and had horrible 3D performance. Tested on a P3-933, it got a whopping 474 in 3dmark99 800x600x16. 😀 And no support for OpenGL. Nice, huh?

well our computer was custom built cost like 2900nzd

Reply 8 of 11, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help

well our computer was custom built cost like 2900nzd or something

Reply 9 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamespoo wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help

well our computer was custom built cost like 2900nzd

It's possible the onboard graphics of your old system was a Rage Pro Turbo, yw 😀

jamespoo wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
jamespoo wrote:

can anybody help

well our computer was custom built cost like 2900nzd or something

It's possible the onboard graphics of your old system was a Rage Pro Turbo, yw 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 11, by jamespoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well our computer was custom built cost like 2900nzd or something[/quote]
It's possible the onboard graphics of your old system was a Rage Pro Turbo, yw 😀[/quote]

my mother told me today about 2 weeks ago she was cleaning out a draw in our house and found our old paperwork for when we bought our pc with the specs sheet ect she thought i might like it so put it somewhere safe hope she remembers where or i can find it

Reply 11 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamespoo wrote:

my mother told me today about 2 weeks ago she was cleaning out a draw in our house and found our old paperwork for when we bought our pc with the specs sheet ect she thought i might like it so put it somewhere safe hope she remembers where or i can find it

If it contains the model number of the motherboard, your mystery will soon be solved 😀

Report spammers here!