Rank Newbie
Rank

old card i found but has since died what are your thoughts of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZP6YPNjh0

Reply 1 of 6, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had a few of these and had one from new. Whist they supported the latest API back in the day the fx5200 was really to slow to support them. You will not be playing many if any DX9 games with higher settings. But in a retro rig that's not an issue and these cards do have good compatibility for many older games and works great on many DX7 and 8 games. I have however only ever had two graphics cards fail on me and the two are fx5200. I never knew if it was just bad luck, perhaps it was because there cheap cards so possibly built from cheaper parts or possibly the fx5200 is just a bit fragile in general?

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

5200s were budget cards so manufacturers cut corners everywhere... it's not surprising many just die IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a Pentium 4 Sony VAIO back in the early 2000s that came with an FX5200 and it was god awful. Even playing my old (at the time) games was a task with that thing.

I took that machine up to an FX5900 and then an ATI X800 Pro before I upgraded to an Athlon 64 with a 7800GT. Good memories 😀