VOGONS

First post, by goglxy.27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I plan on playing the Commander Keen series of games, Dangerous Dave series, and Duke Nukem 1-2 etc.

And I was wondering if any issues would come about as to playing on a pentium with a trident 9685 2mb svga card or any svga card for that matter?

Another question would be, did Keen and the other games actually run better, such as scrolling smoothly left and right, as a result of being run on a 386 over a pentium?

Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like Trident 9685 shouldn't have scrolling problems, but remember that not all LCD run in sync when they got 70Hz refresh rate.

https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keen scrolling problems are almost always due to slight incompatibilities with how your VGA/SVGA card does EGA modes.

This only happens with Keens 4,5,6 and games that use the same engine.

It doesn't happen with Keens 1,2,3, Keen Dreams, and mods which use the Keen Dreams source code.

EDIT: K1n9_Duk3 has made a patch to fix this for the Keen Galaxy games, here: http://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4084

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I get wrong/dark colors in all the old apogee-games with my pIII onboard i810 chipset 🙁

In the same list in my first post the Intel i740 (which the onboard graphics are based off) are listed with color problems on Keen games with certain LCD monitors, maybe you should try another one or a CRT?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try the patch posted here , maybe it will help you as well with the colors: Re: Commander Keen problem!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

try the patch posted here , maybe it will help you as well with the colors: Re: Commander Keen problem!

Wow that's nice...works like charm for S-Agent, CC and Keen...

Thx!!!!!

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines