VOGONS

P75 Heatsink

Topic actions

First post, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody have a P75? If so, what sort of cooler have you got on it?

I ask because I've had a hard time finding a cooler which fits the board properly. It's a Socket 5, but the retaining clips are offset from oneanother, meaning it needs the Z-shaped retaining wire clip, rather than the straight over type found on the Socket 7 coolers. Socket 7 coolers are incredibly easy to find, but not so their Socket 5 predecessors.

Right now I've got a bent bit of metal (actually a piece of N-Gauge model rail track!) holding it on, but the cooler has a tendency to wander now and then. My research suggests the CPU only outputs 8W, and either could be passively cooled, or could possibly cope with no heatsink at all. I do recall a lot of early Pentiums having just a passive heatsink, but they had the Z-clip retainer, which I can't find. My concern is the heatsink falling off when I don't notice, and I kill the CPU (this CPU of course pre-dating clever thermal controls).

Does anybody know of a good source of heatsinks or clips? Or am I safe with my bodge fix?

Reply 1 of 2, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this heat sink on ebay, it looks like it might work for you, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CPU-Cooler-Fan-He … RYAAOSwHoFXsmNl , I once got a socket 7 cpu that had a heat sink that clipped on the sides of the cpu package like most 486 style heat sinks,but in my experience most early Pentiums came with the heat sink epoxied to them, if you want to epoxy the heat sink to the CPU you can get Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Epoxy between $6-7 online, just make sure what ever heat sink you are using has a standard sized fan that is easily replaceable if it ever fails.

Reply 2 of 2, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's exactly the heat sink I'd want. Unfortunately delivery to me in the UK makes it a bit pricey, but it's always an option. I did wonder about epoxy, but I prefer clips.

However, I found something more close to home!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPU-Fan-Cooler-12-V … hMAAOSwxH1UFW6J

They clip directly to the CPU, so I've snapped up a few as spares. I'd been searching for Socket 5 or Socket 7 cooler, but I tried searching for Pentium Heatsink and found that almost straight away.

Thanks 😀